Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Updates, Rhubarbs & Sticky Bun Doughs

The heat wave is over!

My brother from New Zealand dropped in for a visit last week and brought us some Pineapple Lumps... Mmmm!

Since I'm on the topic of food, everyday now there's something ready out in the garden. Yesterday was brocolli, cauliflower, peas, and rhubarb--56 cups of rhubarb. Rhubarb starts to smell really bad after ages of chopping, and I grumbled about never wanting to see another rhubarb--ever. So I did the only thing I could to save the day--I baked a rhubarb crisp. Mmmm!

I also made a batch of buns. The cowpoke likes fried bread for lunch on baking days. Bun dough is stickier than bread dough and the finished product was somewhat lacking. I shrugged as I offer the cowpoke his lunch plate-- "bun dough" I explained.

For some reason that struck the cowpoke as funny and BUNDO became the word of the day. He started singing songs like 'Bundo, King of the Wild Frontier' and 'B-u-n-d-o, B-u-n-d-o, and Bundo was his name O'.

Slowly bundo started to replace many, many everyday words and before I knew it I was refering to the cowpoke as Bundo. The word bundo became all powerful and we learned to speak in a primitive monosyllabic tongue. When Bundo hopped on his bike last night to go move an irrigation line he said, "Bundo go now." He wobbled back 30 seconds later with a flat tire and I asked, "Bundo no go?"

I was exhausted when I hit the pillow last night. "Goodnight Mr. Bundo."

"Goodnight Mrs. Bundo." And as I'm drifting off I hear a faint whisper from the next pillow over. "Mr. and Mrs. Bundo will rise again."

Now that I've attempted to divert all attention away from my sorry word count update of last week, I will proceed to bury it at the bottom of the page with an almost non-existant hope that it shall go unnoticed...

Valkrey's Moon
Week 4 Update - July 28-Aug 3/09 Word Count = 19,278


I'll get back to writing soon I'm sure. As soon as I start waking up with novel ideas instead of to-do lists of a pressing domestic nature.


Well enough about writing. Anybody interested in the rhubarb crisp recipe? Or perhaps I could interest you in some rhubarb?

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, may I please, please have the crisp recipe, Mrs. Bundo? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for asking B.J.! Mrs.Bundo will post her crisp recipe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want the recipe because I'm not much of a cook, but I'll take an actual crisp. Is there any way you could get one to me???? As for your word count, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I've written maybe 5 words this week. I'm back at it today, though! Glad you finally posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lazy Writer: LOL I mail things like cookies, poppycock, and peanut brittle at Christmas. I have a feeling though that rhubarb crisp may arrive looking like a completely disgusting gelatinous muck. Good luck with your writing today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the writing!

    I've never had rhubarb. But I'm pretty much a city girl despite that my mom lives on horse property. (And by extension I live on horse property as I currently live at home.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NWA: Thanks! Sounds like you have a peaceful place to write.

    ReplyDelete