Monday, August 24, 2009

Firing up the Five Senses

I’ve been unplugged and haven’t worked on my WiP for well over a week. Phew—just wanted to get that off my chest. Actually, I’m okay with that—I’ll just have to write like a house on fire in September.

Speaking of fire—I have a few pictures to share.

Last Thursday we woke up to a pristine blue sky. One of those idyllic carefree days of summer—well to be perfectly honest it was brutally hot and we were complaining about that a bit and maybe praying for just a little rain. In mid-afternoon it looked as if storm clouds were rolling in but as the cowpoke pointed out—it looked like rain but smelled like smoke.

Within thirty minutes the sun and sky were obliterated and bits of ash started to fall. The forest fire is burning many miles from here, yet it is impossible not to feel a bit anxious when confronted by an element on the rampage.

The intermittent roar of water bombers and choppers passing overhead compounds the anxiety. Living on the edge of a disaster has the feel of a war zone.
Three Huey’s have flown over since I’ve been writing this—I recognize the sound of their engines and their whirring rotors. They’re much louder than the smaller birddogs that guide the planes carrying loads of fire retardant to the drop zones. Yet not as loud as the big water bombers.
I realize it is a war zone—the conflicts are numerous. The elements, fire, earth, wind, and water clashing with each other, and with the men who are battling for control.
Sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch—my senses are stirred and working on overdrive. I wanted to use more description in the writing of this but while a part of my brain is working on how to incorporate these elements into my writing, another part of me is concerned with the fire and how it’s affecting the evacuees, their livestock, and their lands.
I should be working on my WiP today but my thoughts are focused elsewhere. I suppose some days are meant for experiencing life and others are meant for writing about it.
Linda Sandifer over at Writing Out West has written some excellent posts on the senses.

I used a simile in this post. I learned about similes and some other fun stuff from Kathryn over at tender graces last week. Breaking the rules is a lot more fun when you know what they are!

11 comments:

  1. Hey! T'anks for the mention *smiling* -- I'll be back to cleaning our manuscrpts tomorrow now that I'm not worrying about hurting someone in hollywood's feelings or someone I've never met *laughing*

    Your well-written post is full of imagery - and I could sense your tension - scary as hell -- I worry about forest fires here - we get tourists come in when it's really dry and try to burn something, or during 4 of july or in January shooting off fireworks - and I worry about dry leaves and bush ....

    hope all is well ...

    and it's good to take a break from the ms and then go back to it - oh the things you see when you take a break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn-You're most welcome--I simply couldn't resist leaving that oh so obvious simile in there :) and I can certainly relate to the lost sleep thing. The things we find to worry about...

    Thanks for your good comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As scary as that is, those are some awesome photos.
    Please stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos but a little frightening as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jbchicoine-Thanks! We're 20-30 kms away so we don't anticipate that it will travel this far.

    WhisperingWriter-It is a little frightening with the smell of the smoke and the sound of the aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scary situation! Those pictures are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right; some days are meant for living instead of writing, and I think you just had one of those days. Eventually, it will probably end up in one of your novels, though. :) Incredible pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I suppose some days are meant for experiencing life and others are meant for writing about it."

    So true! In fact, I took some time off of writing fiction after my divorce, knowing I'd come back to it eventually. I joked, "These are the research years of my life" and I was SO right. Actually I grew more as a person and writer in those years than in all the years preceding it combined.

    I think we should never discount the importance of those days we spend out in the real world, interacting with others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, beautiful photography! And yes, very scary. I hope it doesn't come too close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather Sunseri-It was frightening and beautiful at the same time.

    Lazy Writer-Funny you should mention that, my second WiP is set on a different planet...

    g2bhapi26- Thanks!

    Stephanie Faris- Well said, I can relate. I went through a period of personal growth similar to yours. I quit reading for a few years *gasp* to dedicate my time to living and learning. Time well spent :)

    B.J. Anderson- Welcome back to the wonderful world of blogging :) The sky over our place is almost smoke free this morning, hoping the wind stays calm so they can make some progress towards containing the fire.

    ReplyDelete