Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Let it Flow


Stream-of-consciousness writing is usually regarded as a special form of interior monologue and is characterized by associative leaps in syntax and punctuation that can make the prose difficult to follow, tracing a character's fragmentary thoughts and sensory feelings. Wikipedia
We practised freewriting in high school English and to tell you the truth I wasn’t comfortable allowing my brain free reign in a classroom setting. I was motivated to give it another try after reading this post over at Chronicles of a Novice Writer and this post over at the dull yellow eye.
So—I sat down in the comfort of my own home and wrote non-stop for 27 minutes. The end result was 1,177 words. Did I create a masterpiece? No. But it did get me writing and brought back some interesting memories—nothing of a life altering nature or anything but worth a personal chuckle. I considered posting some or all of my rambling stream but upon reflection decided that everyone would benefit far more from writing their own. :D
If you give this a shot let me know if you gain anything from it. Does anyone have any other exercises or motivational tricks or tools they want to share?

10 comments:

  1. I think I just might give it a shot. I'm trying that 10k thing tomorrow, and I could use it to get in gear to write without thinking. Thanks! I'll let you know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I encourage "free-writing" like that - I tell people ...if you write 2000 words without self-editing, and 1000 of them "suck" - you still have 1000 good words! Love free writing and that's how I begin new works - just zippity do dah day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the freewriting and the 10k day tomorrow Lazy Writer!! I'll be pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn-It's encouraging to know what works for a published author, appreciate your input:) I agree free-writing is definitely beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much always free write...at least I think I do. But maybe I'm editing without realizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love free writing! And the editing doesn't hurt so bad because you know you have to clean it up. Thanks for reminding me.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love free writing. No you don't typically walk away with pure perfection, but it does get those creative juices working.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie-You're lucky, I have a perfectionist block thing going on that wants me to stop and analyse everything. Although I did find with the free writing that my left brain kicked in and started working ahead on the next paragraph...

    Suzanne-You're welcome! I love it too-- anything goes and worry about the icky details later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking about you today quixotic, miss seeing you around. Hope your creative juices are blending on high speed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love stream of consciousness writing. I never use any of the stuff I write, but it definitely gets my mind working.

    ReplyDelete