Friday, August 28, 2009

On AIR

I’m seeing red today. No, not that kind of red! I’m having a Martha day--well if you can imagine Martha working in her kitchen in paint splattered blue jeans and an old Nintendo t-shirt that says ‘I Love Mushrooms’ with her hair tied back with a—well I’m not sure what’s holding that ponytail together but it’s working. Anyway, I’m making beet pickles and it looks like a paint bomb went off in here.

The high point of my day was listening to Kathryn Magendie’s interview on the radio. Yay! Kathryn did an awesome job and I was disappointed when the interview ended. If you missed it live Kathryn has a link to a podcast over at Tender Graces. I can’t wait to read Tender Graces and I’m going to nudge my local library system until they add it to their shelves. Poke, poke, poke…

Speaking of air there’s been a lot of choppers flying overhead lately. This was one of many that passed over last evening. That smoke cloud was actually receeding as the Huey whumped by.


The forest fire has increased in size and is about 12 kms from us now but we are still outside of the evacuation alert area. Fingers crossed but prepared to throw some precious items into the old 4-Runner.

Evacuating children, pets, and livestock first are a given. What would you have packed and ready to go if you were put on alert in a forest fire situation?

10 comments:

  1. I'll keep my fingers crossed about the fire. That's scary!
    I think beyond taking all living things, I would take my photo albums and my laptop (I know I know, but all of my pics, writing, etc. are on there)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FictionGroupie--No worries lol I have my photo/keepsake albums, a few old family heirlooms, and my two CPU's on my list--same reasons. I'm hoping I'll remember to grab some clean underwear and a toothbrush too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope it doesn't get too close to you! If I had to evacuate, I'd make sure I took a hard copy of my manuscript and a notebook and pen with me. (My kids, too, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LW- lol! Sure hope you're having a good birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope you stay safe! Besides children, pets and husband, I would grab my external hard drive. Everything else is replaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather-Thanks, it's well away from us and I'm confident that we'd have lots of warning if we actually had to evacuate. The smoke, planes, and radio updates naturely create a bit of anxiety but they also serve to remind us to be prepared. Mental preparedness is the most important because like you said-everything else is replaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man, I hope the fire passes you by! And I so hope you don't have to evacuate! That is just scary. If I had to evacuate I'd grab the kids, the cats, and my laptop. And I'd probably email myself a copy of my book, just in case! I hope everything turns out ok! Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. I think the most important things are my boyfriend and dog. Beyond that...maybe my computer, a few clothes, and my photos...photos aren't replaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I said in a comment before how fire scares me - here living in a heavily wooded area, in a little log house - I am there with you feeling that fear of fire *eek*

    What are beet pickles? Like pickled beets? or?

    (thank you kindly for linking me - teehee -- the host said the podcast should be up on Monday!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the good thoughts B.J., Stephanie, and Kathryn. The sky is clearer today and I think I'll add a more optimistic picture to this post.

    And oops--Kathryn they are pickled beets! I whipped the post off between batches processing in the canner and didn't spend a lot of time proofing. Happy to link--your interview was excellent and good to hear that the podcast will be up soon.

    ReplyDelete