Tuesday, August 25, 2009

WATevER Will I Do?





First fire and now water. I find myself at the fickle mercy of the elements this week. Huh. Might as well embrace the theme and roll with it…

I went outside to water my flowerbeds yesterday only to discover that the hose had ran dry. This is a fairly common occurrence around here. The cowpoke is a great inventor of labor and energy—read money—saving devices. I am able to water guilt free and to my heart’s content—thanks to his handy dandy Gravity Fed Water System. *ahem* When it’s working that is.

The first year of the clever invention was wrought with frustration. The cows knocked the pipeline apart on a daily basis. This has since been mostly rectified but bitter memories will linger.
There is one memory I can recall with a certain degree of fondness…

I was down on my knees one morning—no I wasn’t praying at the time—I was taking a sprinkler head apart to check for a blockage. When I didn’t find an obvious obstruction, I tried shaking the hose and raining unladylike words upon it. To my utmost chagrin, none of my resourceful efforts brought the water back. I stood up in dismal defeat, threw the offensive hose down, and said something like, “How the heck am I supposed to water now?”

I turned around and there was my precocious Blue Dog—sitting quietly, watching me intently—with a half full watering can clenched firmly between his teeth. Wow! Epiphany. There are alternative solutions to every problem.

He was right of course. However; the water shortage I am facing at the moment is not easily fixed. The water level in the lower dam has sunk below the pipeline. The upper dam is being held in reserve in case we need it to fight a forest fire. Alas, there will be no more creek water this gardening season. And pumping the artesian well water for yard usage would be an unfair tax upon the old pump.

So that brings me back to Blue, the epiphany, and the pink plastic watering can. Hmm…

No—I simply can not envision myself toting a watering can whilst trudging back and forth from the house to the garden several million times…

And so without further ado—I'm off to grab a shovel. I shall miss my little garden.




"As a principle-centered person you try to stand apart from the emotion of the situation and from other factors that would act on you, and evaluate the options. Looking at the balanced whole--the work needs, the family needs, the other needs that may be involved, and the possible implications of the various alternatives--you'll try to come up with the best solution taking all factors into consideration. We are limited but we can push back the borders of our limitations." --Stephen R. Covey

15 comments:

  1. I'm picturing the dog with the water can. What a great picture. So sad about your garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, what an upset! I understand your predicament, but enjoyed very much the way your relayed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so what you're saying is, 'They're all going to die'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. laughing - !

    Luckily, where we live on the mountain it is "wild" so the only watering is from father sky -- everything grows wild, there's no garden, no yard, no planting, no nuttin -- some plants are rare here - and trees/plants have been here for longer than I have been on the earth ....suits me perfectly (ADVERB ADVERB ALERT! laugh...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. quixotic- I wish I had taken a picture!

    Thanks Janna glad you enjoyed!

    jbchicoine- You hit that potato right on the head. Mwahahahaha

    Kathryn- Sounds like paradise! And tsk tsk...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get the image of the dog with the watery can out of my head! How funny! I don't think we give them enough credit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lazy Writer- He is a border collie and very clever but the truth is he liked to drink fresh water out of the watering can so just brought it to me for a refill. Oh wait, that's actually pretty clever too... lol... and it was amazing timing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I'm definitely glad to have come across your blog. I live on a farm in NE, BC, and try to balance writing with motherhood and critters. BTW, we have one of those crazy farmer rigged contraptions to syphon water from our dugout, because our well gives out pretty easy. If you had a chance, you might be interested in my other blog (connected to my less adult writing. It can be found at
    http://www.quirkymommyc.blogspot.com. It was dormant for awhile, but I'm going to start posting again. But, it includes such fun events as going to a parent/teacher interview with chicken poop on my shoes, and putting out crop fires on mother's day. I really look forward to reading more of your blog, but right now I have to get my three little ones loaded in the truck, because we're heading out to haul the bales in from the field (hoping they fall asleep right away, or it will be a long night). Take care and I wish you the best in your writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Literary Cowgirl- Thanks for dropping by-- sounds like you have your hands full. It's a crazy time of year for sure. Best of luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dog is pretty darn smart!

    Sorry about your garden. If it makes you feel any better, anything I plant dies even WHEN I have plenty of water for it. I don't have even a fraction of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awe, man! That really stinks. :( What a nice dog, though. And smart!! I hope you're able to get some veggies out of the garden. My garden died this last week while I was gone. Someone was supposed to be watering it for me. Oh well. At least they fed my cats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie-Thanks but I wasn't born with a green thumb, I used to kill every plant I touched--so if I can do it there is hope for all!

    B.J.- That stinks about your garden too. I'm ever so glad to hear that your kitties were well tended though! Huh. It wasn't Stephanie that was watering your garden was it?

    Sorry Stephanie - I just couldn't walk away from that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a bummer about your garden. :( I'm with stephanie, I look at plants the wrong way and they die. Plus, it's so hot here, it's almost not worth the effort. The only thing I can keep alive is sweet potato vine, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm...sweet potato vine... I don't think I can grow that up here FictionGroupie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry about your garden. I'm jealous that you even got to grow it that far. Mine would have died right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete