Monday, July 27, 2009

'The Sun Spat Morning'

Wake up grab a pen, jot down the musings of Fred in my head. Stumble from bed, feed the dogs, set up coffee pot. Fumble into ratty—but wickedly comfortable—housecoat, and run out into yard. Move a sprinkler into the vegetable garden. Run back to house. Drat. Run back outside, move another sprinkler into a flowerbed.

Okay, I've bought myself a few minutes. Grab a coffee cup and run to the computer. The coffee cup is empty. Run, Deb, run. See Deb run.

The heat is oppressive—no not oppressive. Groggy housewife seeks synonym. The heat is tyrannical, domineering, harsh, cruel, unfair, repressive, humid—

Bah—the heat is oppressive—and ‘The sun spat morning’.

Did I mention the heat was oppressive? I'd give anything right about now for a dark and stormy night. But I do love the line 'the sun spat morning'. Anyone remember what movie that is from?

17 comments:

  1. OK, did some research. It's apparently from a Barbra Streisand movie called "The Owl and the Pussycat." Though it didn't come up in an IMDB quote search. I just did a general search of the quote and this blog post came up. It's all the way at the end of the blog post that you get the reference.


    Novice Writer Anonymous
    Chronicles of a Novice Writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should right down the word verifications every time I post a comment somewhere. Then I could use them as magic spells in my writings. (There's your random thought of the day from NWA.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NWA: I checked out the link--I'm not the only one who remembers that line! I watched the movie way back when and I couldn't tell you what it's about but I've never forgotten that line.

    I like your idea for the word verifications! If you use them it will become an interesting bit of trivia to put out there when you are published.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen the movie. The only Streisand film I've seen (was she in First Wives Club or was that Bette Midler?) was "The Way We Were" with Robert Redford.


    LOL on the trivia thing. I'm definitely going to have to use it. It'll make things so interesting and weird!


    Novice Writer Anonymous
    Chronicles of a Novice Writer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, no I don’t know what movie that is from, but I can defiantly sympathize with oppressive heat. (We’re supposed to hit 107 today.) At least you can laugh about it.

    Oh, btw, I think you can call yourself an author. As far as I know, that means you’ve put your pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and created a good story. End of story. (Pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a great line.

    Do you think I could borrow Fred for a while? I have been trying all morning to write one sentence. I know what I want to say, but I just can't figure out how to say it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. NWA: Bette Midler in First Wives Club. She's a funny lady!

    Emily Ann Benedict: Thanks for stopping by and for the thumbs up on the author tag! We're on celcius, we hit 38 yesterday. Drink lots of water, lol

    Lazy Writer: No! Don't let one sentence slow you down. Keep writing--go back to it later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the line too. Who's Fred?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what I was thinking. But I couldn't be sure because I've only seen a majority portion of that movie, just never from start to finish. (Start is what's been omitted.)

    Lazy Writer, keep on chugging! Revisions are for those moments where you just slapped something down before in order to move forward. Just get it all out there and you'll be able to come up with something great when you come back to it in a week or so.

    Novice Writer Anonymous
    Chronicles of a Novice Writer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jarmara: Fred's full name is 'Fred in my head' --muse/sub-conscious. When I go to bed I plug in my thoughts, Fred processes, and if I'm lucky I have some new ideas to jot down in the morning.

    Yes, Lazy Writer-keep on chugging! I forgot to say that you're welcome to borrow Fred any old time. He's like a puppy--if you chase him he keeps running but if you turn and run the other way he's right behind you and like--wait for me, wait for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. NWA: Midler and Streisand could play similiar roles, both have those strong personalities and powerful voices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a hot summer here too...and very rainy. Strange weather. Normally by this time of year we're wishing for rain but now we're wishing it would stop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that line.

    It was actually quite chilly today. I had to put on a jacket and I thought it wasn't fair that I had to pull one out seeing that it's only July.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephanie: Thanks for stopping by! Hope your weather improves. The weather patterns are wonky these days--climate change I suppose.

    Whispering Writer: It's so not fair that you need a jacket in July!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing sun! Your blog is very nice. The images are very beautiful. God is Great. Best wishes.

    http://www.thedynamicnature.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Strange,
    Just checking in! It's been a while since you did a post, and I miss you and your posts. I hope you are busy writing that romance novel, and are getting lots of words on paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lazy Writer: I'm still out here! Crazy busy putting up my garden, etc. etc. Trying to clear my slate so I can get back to writing...

    ReplyDelete