Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Writing a Novel in Three Months

I came across this article on the internet last night:

'Write a romance novel in three months'

Heres the link: http://www.essortment.com/all/howtowritea_rsev.htm


Have you read this? I laughed at first (it sounded a bit like an infomercial) but then I started to think about it.

We know that many best selling authors produce more than one book a year. Writing is their job.

Not all aspiring writers have the luxury of dedicating three months to writing fulltime. Day job and family commitments are huge limiters.

Three months isn’t a reasonable time frame for everyone but we can adjust our goals and expectations to fit our individual schedules.

Okay, we all know all of that stuff.

I personally haven’t committed to any hardcore goals yet. I think it’s time I took the leap.

I am going to attempt to ‘Write a romance novel in three months’.

According to the article I have about two weeks to get my outline prepared.

Taking a deep breath…

Arms steepled over head in diving stance…

Sploosh!

Gee, I hope I haven't jumped in over my head. Did I say three months? I meant three-ish.

Have you read the article? Do you think it's possible? ish?

10 comments:

  1. I actually wrote my novel in three months, but I've spent the last six months editing and revising it, and I'm still not through. So, yeah, I think it's possible to write a novel in three months, but not to have it ready for submission in that time frame. Good luck with your goal. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you could write something as long as a novel in three months, but like Lazy Writer said, editing might take a bit longer. LoL. Good luck in your attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lazy Writer! It's encouraging to know that it can be done. I should have specified that the suggested time frame was for the first draft. Good luck on your editing and revising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks quixotic! The editing and revising is brutal. I'm leaving my first MS for now and hoping that starting a new project will somehow allow me to see the old one in a new light...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's doable, assuming writer's block doesn't set in immediately. (It once took me a year or so to write one chapter of my book because of writer's block.) But I'm sure you'll be fine. And I think it's definitely a reasonable timeframe for only completing a first draft, not taking the thing from brain to publishing-ready in that span.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Novice Writer Anonymous! I think it's doable. I'm not at all sure that I can do it - but it's worth a shot and it has me ankle deep into my outline anyway :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome! I'm sure you'll do great! Can't wait to hear updates on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the article about writing a novel in three months. I had to laugh because my family made fun of me for printing the whole thing off to edit. It really did make a difference, though, to see it on paper rather than the computer screen. My daughter immediately became a recycler. She couldn't bear to see the paper go to waste. I definitely recommend printing it, even though it will cost you a little more. Of course, everyone has there own way of working. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooops! I meant "their" not "there"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lazy Writer: I find it makes a huge difference to see the words in print. Also, you can take it outside to work on, or to bed, or wherever. I worry about the recycling aspect too, so I don't print out very often.

    ReplyDelete