Wednesday, October 21, 2009

WiP Update and One-Liners

I decided today that the WiP I’m attempting to revise isn’t worth the effort--time to set it back on the shelf and move on. Okay, I’m kidding. But I did think about it. 

When I get that nasty urge to throw in the towel, I will often sit and Google, until I hit on a piece of information, something, anything, that motivates me back to my writing or revising.

I ended up here today and was reminded that I still haven’t put those magical words together—you know, the ones that will describe our books in one sentence.

So, tomorrow, I plan to study the one-liners on The New York Times Best Seller List. Great stuff there, seriously, did you know that Diana Gabaldon has a new book out in the Outlander Series? 
 
AN ECHO IN THE BONE, by Diana Gabaldon. (Delacorte, $30.) The descendants of Jamie Fraser and his wife, Claire, search for clues about their flight from North Carolina during the Revolution; the seventh Outlander novel.
 
Knowing Diana Gabaldon that tome is a doorstop, yet there it is, described in one sentence. Magical!
 
Speaking of magic, that reminds me of something that used to crack me up back when I worked in the salon. I probably could have worked this into a nice writing analogy but anyway, here's the story: 
 
Every now and then, someone would come into the salon with unrealistic expectations. I mean lets face it, short baby fine hair can not be transformed into thick flowing locks. Anyway, one of the hairdressers, excuse me, stylists, would walk past my desk and utter out of the side of his mouth, "Get the wand." 
 
Perhaps that wouldn't have made a good analogy after all. I never did find that wand. Guess I'll have to roll up my sleeves and do this the old fashioned way... one line at a time.

28 comments:

  1. One line at time, Deb. One line at a time. Can I just tell you that I almost tossed my completed manuscript the other day. Then I was inspired with an idea, and I've been on a high ever since. My revisions feel like writing a whole new book (which I sort of am). I hope you get to that point because it is an amazing feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let your mind wander until something strikes you. Then it's easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was younger, we'd go to the salon and want to come home looking like Farrah Fawcett - maybe the hair made it - but not the size 14 girl - she'd never look like a size zero no matter how much the stylist poofed my hair :( wand or no wand

    ReplyDelete
  4. But if you do find the wand... can I borrow it? :) Best wishes for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that feeling so many times, that I'm in need of magic! Where do they sell these wands?

    ReplyDelete
  6. But I suppose in some ways, a pen can be a magic wand. ;)

    I know that feeling, too. Glad you got a little boost. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did throw my first book in the garbage. I salvaged nothing but the characters. I was about 150 pages into it and it simply wasn't working. I went on to rewrite it from scratch, and it was eventually published. So hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you find the magic... send it my way?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely want to borrow the wand.
    (Susan, thanks for sharing that. I almost threw mine out too.)

    I can't even atest to editing being the hard part yet, making it through a complete project would be a nice sensation first.

    *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, if only everything I wrote poured forth from my fingers polished and ready...

    We can all be our own magic wands, though. The point is that there really is no easy way. But if there were, everybody and their brother/sister could write a book and then there wouldn't be any challenge in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie-Thanks!

    Susan-So glad you didn't toss your work. Good to know it's worth paddling around in the shallows while we wait for that big wave! Go Susan!

    Secretia-Great advise. Thanks for the reminder!

    Kim-I remember those days. I was a fine haired, big hair wannabe. Better described as Farrah Flaccid.

    Tabitha-Thanks and you definitely can borrow it :)

    Lori-I'll keep looking lol, be sure to let me know if you find one!

    Janna-I think that's the definitive answer!

    Linda-That is really encouraging! I think some of it is worth saving--so I'm hangin' in there!

    Suzy-Absolutely. Though, much like 'Willow' I'm fair certain we'll find it within.

    Tamika-You're going to get there!

    L.T.-Well said! Onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE THAT, "Get the wand!" so perfect...but you don't need a wand, you just need to take it one word at a time, like you said.

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so bad at log lines. I have never effectively been able to do it. A wand would be great. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roni-I haven't come up with one yet. Good luck with your's!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha! I remember someone telling me back in the 60s she told her stylist she wanted to look like Natalie Wood. She said, "Honey, Natalie Wood would look great BALD. Let's shoot for you looking like YOU."

    ReplyDelete
  16. "One line at a time" - you're absolutely right! We all need to remember that when we feel overwhelmed. Good luck with the revisions and the one-liner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stephanie-Ha! You've got to love the realist!

    Dawn-Thanks! Hmm..maybe I can work that line into a tagline..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with your WIP! Your methodical approach will get you there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Angie-Thanks for your vote of confidence and Lord I hope so :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can do it! It would be easy to throw in the towel (I know, b/c I'm tempted from time to time), but we knew this wouldn't be easy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd like a wand for my baby-fine hair... I mean, my novel. Sometimes, I, too, think I'll never be done... or be able to reduce my behemoth to one line. But I'm working on it. You'll get there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Incidentally, I read the "snowflake method" article - thanks for the link! Although I hate to admit it, I need to completely restructure my novel (something I should've done from the start, as Mr. Randy suggested), and his advice just might come in handy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heather-Thanks and you're so right. We'll make it!

    Laura-I hear you. I have a huge overhaul to do. Might be a while before we can beta trade but we will get there!

    Hope the info helps, I'm going to try and follow some of that advice this time around :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. First - CONGRATS on winning your signed copy of tender graces -and I'm so glad you asked for TG even though I said you didn't have to *LAUGHINGGGGGG>>>>>haw!* okay, my skin isn't quite that thin *laughing* (or issss itttt??)


    anyway - what was I going to say about your post - dang it all, I forgot....um....

    well dang.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kat- Thanks so much! And Ha! As if I would pass up a copy of TG!!! Not even an option.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know how you feel. Sometimes the overwhelmingness of it all makes us want to run. That's not allowed for the true writer, though.

    ReplyDelete