Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

The second Monday in October is Thanksgiving Day up here in Canada. Our long weekend began with a two day road trip. I decided to play tourist and snap a few shots. Here's a bit of the British Columbia scenery we passed--shot from the passenger window of our trusty old 4-Runner. Well, what can I say, we're not really tourists--and it was cold outside :)

There...



Signs signs everywhere there's signs. This one is between Clinton and the Hat Creek Ranch.



Thompson River at Walhachin. Between Cache Creek and Savona.



Walhachin again. I love this stretch, it never fails to inspire me setting wise. The television series X-Files did some filming in the area, as did the movie Firewall with Harrison Ford.




Ginsing field at Walhachin.




I googled this sign. A big truck was parked in front of it and I would have had to get out of the vehicle, walk around the truck... nah.



I did brave the chill morning to capture this shot--it's the site of the old Six Mile Ranch between Savona and Kamloops. This has recently been developed into the Tobiano Golf Course on the shores of Kamloops Lake.




A small farm between Kamloops and Monte Lake.




My camera batteries died so I borrowed this pic of the Enderby Cliffs. This is apparently a popular climbing spot. I hear there are high winds up there that blow people off once in a while... So I'm going to just say no to that particular adventure. They remind me of The Cliffs of Insanity. Any other Princess Bride fanatics out there?




We had an early Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. Why does that little flag waving turkey look so happy you ask? I think it's because we had an untraditional meal for our celebration. There were a few squacks regarding the lack of fowl upon the table, though nary a complaint when the four pies and the ice cream cake came out. Go figure.

Personally, I approved of the decision not to serve up a bird on this occasion. The purpose of our trip, you see, was the annual family gathering at the inlaws farm--to 'do' the chickens. I'll spare you the details and the pictures of that fun process but at the end of the day everyone rides off into the sunset with some nice plump organic chickens for their freezer.


...and Back Again.







Horses near Falkland.




The beaver is one of our national symbols, not very glamourous or exotic as creatures go. They are the largest rodent in North America. Not impressed? Huh. Well, they do mate for life and I personally have to admire that quality in any species. The Beaver Manufacturing company is located near Kamloops. 



Between the Beaver Manufacturing company and Kamloops.




I love these rock formations and this farmer has an impressive amount of hay piled up in his stackyard.



The sun began to set as we passed Cherry Creek.



Nearing Savona I lost the light but not the spark of excitement I felt knowing that I would soon be home.

    I'm looking forward to starting my revisions this week and catching up on my blog visiting. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful country! I've never been to Canada would like to go someday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds (and looks) like you had a lovely vacation! Happy Thanksgiving! (I wish Turkey Day were this early here in the US. A day of culinary gluttony and creation. Ahhh, bliss.)

    Yeah, I once wanted to go to culinary school. I was accepted, too. Ahhh, those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda-I hope to see more of the states one day. I've been to Montana and Washington and they were beautiful. Hope you make it up here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NWA-I had a good trip but I did miss the traditional dinner and the mad preparations this year. All is not lost though--the cowpoke is born of dual citizens so we often celebrate the American Thanksgiving as well :)

    Culinary school sounds like a good thing. Okay, now I’m hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scenery is absoulutely beautiful. I really need to make some travel plans. You just don't see things like that in Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Canada. It's so gorgeous, everywhere. *Jealous* :)

    Cool pics, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous, love going on the trip with you. I feel much more relaxed.

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for sharing such breath-taking pictures! Tell me about those organic birds sometime, I didn't know they did that with meat. Go figure.

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan-I've never been to Kansas but I think it might look something like the prairies where I was born!

    Diggestive-It is pretty country!

    LT-Your welcome!

    Stacey-Relaxed is good!

    Tamika-I just found out that they're not organic. Organic poultry and meat would be raised on unmedicated feed, that wasn't grown using any chemicals, etc.

    BJ-You have a new picture, cool!

    ReplyDelete