It's time to get serious, buckle down, and tackle my first revision. I'm a little nervous. I started this one back in January of '08 and have learned a few things along the way. This was abundantly obvious when I searched my manuscript for 'ly' words. The grand total of 1, 445 is now whittled down to 272. I was stunned by the sheer quantity of unneccessary adverbs and adjectives lurking within my pretty prose. Okay, so it's not exactly a thing of beauty--yet.
It would seem that I was particularily fond of having my characters react really quickly, frantically, finally, or suddenly. I'd like to thank author Kathryn Magendie for making me aware of these and other boo-boo's in her Craft of Writing posts.
I will get back to my line edits and search and destroy maneuvers later on. The first order of business will be reading a hard copy of my manuscript and taking notes. My main goal for the first read through is to focus on overall plot structure, but I've got a pile of sticky notes ready to mark anything and everything that jumps out at me.
I'll use colour codes for setting and character development opportunities, and I'll also be looking for places to insert or develop my use of the five senses. Check out author Linda Sandifer's site for some great posts on the five senses and other great revision tips.
Roni at FictionGroupie has also posted some great revision tips and links.
If you checked in last week you know that my computer crashed. I lost a lot of research and brainstorming notes made in preparation for this revision. I've read many helpful posts and articles and my apologies if I've missed crediting yours.
If you have posted or have any recommendations for reading on this topic please post a link in the comments. Any pointers and/or advice gratefully accepted and much appreciated! And so I begin...
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
-John Wooden
I have that nasty 'ly' habit, too. Removal of them accounted for a huge reduction in word count during my first edit. I wish you luck on your revision.
ReplyDeleteGo for it Deb! The revision stage is looming in my future and I look forward to picking your brain one day.
ReplyDeletePraying you have all the gusto you need to make that pretty prose fabulous.
Happy writing...
Good luck! I think it's terrific that you are able to do something you love. Wish we all could be so lucky....,
ReplyDeleteI love the "ly's"...remember to breathe...and have fun.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're on the right track. Good luck with it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the linkage. :) I am so tremendously fond of those -ly words, so I feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteI love editing my work. There is joy in seeing one's words shining.
ReplyDeleteGood luck, my dear friend
Susan-My word count is dropping by the second! It's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteTamika-Thanks and feel free to pick my brain :)
kys-I do love it--most days...
Stacey-Check. Breath in. Breath out. :)
Linda-Thanks and I hope so!
Roni-No problemo and they are so easy to remove--wish all areas of revision were!
Jarmara-Thanks! It is very satisfying when it all comes together.
Good luck! It sounds like you have a great game plan. We're rooting for you!
ReplyDeleteI can call you Deb now! I'm in the process of changing my writing name, BTW. I'll post about it later this week, but you, Roni, Susan, and I were all changing something with our names at the same time. Great minds! Hee!
Dawn-Thanks! For now I just wanted to make my name more blog friendly. (You know--less Strange :) At some point I have to decide on a name to write under... I'll worry about it more when I near the query stage...
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about yours!
I like that photo. Great indoor plants. Happy to hear editing is going well. Unhappy to think of my own editing that is just at a halt.
ReplyDeleteLori-I love my indoor plants, especially in the winter. My editing mood goes up and down, don't worry your's will happen :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
ReplyDeleteI need to do my revision probably next month. I'm not QUITE finished yet. I have one chapter left to write and then...revision time.
My 'ly' of choice tends to be 'only' ... now if only I could get rid of it :)
ReplyDeleteRevising, replotting, rewriting... They're all daunting tasks. Good luck. It's so worth it in the end when your story is tighter, stronger, cleaner, etc.
ReplyDeleteWhispering Writer-Thanks and good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteBane-I've got tons of onlys, and family is another biggy... they're not all bad!
Heather-It's definitely worth it and it can be daunting. Tightening my plot is the big job right now.
I need to do a similar rewrite of many of my manuscripts. I fear nothing will be left of the book once I'm finished removing all the clutter, though!
ReplyDelete