Sunday, October 4, 2009

Where Father's Been



If I were a D.J. I'd be playing Alice's Restaurant or Stairway to Heaven right about now.

I have two days remaining in which to complete the first draft of Valkrey’s Moon and I’m attempting to multi-task here. Combing the ethers for the time to write, blog, process horseradish, and yet still emulate a reasonable personification of 'the woman of the house'.

That being said, here’s yet another poem. This one delved from writings long, long ago, in a place far, far away...

Where Father's Been

Walk tall young one
set spirit free.
Release his hand
get off his knee.
He gave you life
so you live his dream.
Why must you go
where father's been?
His shadow cast
--long over you,
it is his eyes
that you see through.
Spurn the ties
that bind you near,
raise up your head
cast off your fear.
Oh, nameless naught
you trudge unseen.
Why must you go
where father's been?
If all were just
you'd walk in light.
Yet honour bound
you stalk the night.

11 comments:

  1. Another lovely poem, Strange. I wish you luck finishing your book. That took a lot of guts to try and accomplish. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see to be a woman of many talents. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poetry! And best as you wrap up your manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice poem :) Glad the finish line is in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your writing. You will get to that finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the poem. Good luck on finishing up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. I thought this poem was about growing up, letting go of a parent's assumptions and plans, and then I read the last line and realized... it's about your double life as a vampire.

    Good luck with your novel. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the poem. Good luck with your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LW-Thanks and the work and effort you've put into building up your awesome blog-while working on your book-puts my efforts to shame!

    Heather-Thanks and I think that can probably be said of all of us writerly people :)

    Janna-Thanks and you're right!

    LT-Thanks and yes, whoo hoo!

    quixotic-Thanks for the vote of confidence and right back at you :)

    FG-Thanks on both counts!

    Laura-LMAO I always frown and scratch my head when I look at this poem-can't figure out where it came from. I'm going to sticky note your analysis to it so I will laugh every time I look at it. You funny lady!

    Dawn-Thanks so much!

    You guys are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Stephanie! And I wouldn't say that, poetry manifests in many forms.

    ReplyDelete