Monday, December 14, 2009

Twenty-six Questions


Laura over at Laura's Simple Pleasures tagged me on the twenty-six question "meme".  Thanks Laura! So here goes:



1a. What’s the last thing you wrote? I’m working on, an as yet untitled, short, a bit experimental. The idea is to tell the entire story with the character standing in one spot interacting with the world as it moves around him.

1b. What’s the first thing you wrote that you still have? I came across a poem in a box last week that I wrote when I was sixteen. It’s typically teen.

2. Write poetry? When the mood strikes, a couple of lines will pop into my head and out it comes.

3. Angsty poetry? Nothing lately.

4. Favorite genre of writing? I enjoy reading most genres and like to experiment. At the moment, I’m focusing on paranormal romance which allows me some room to play.

5. Most annoying character you’ve ever created? I think they can all be annoying on some level. My most annoying would be Dakota Moon. He's a secondary character in MARK OF THE FLAME who developed to the point of demanding his own book. Hence my second WiP, VALKREY'S MOON.

6. Best plot you’ve ever created? I’ve yet to craft a plot that I would label my best.

7. Coolest plot twist you’ve ever created? Ditto number six. Perhaps when I come up with the ‘coolest plot twist’ it will develop into the ‘best plot’ and I’ll have something that I’m happy with.

8. How often do you get writer’s block? I don’t believe in writers block, per se, but life tends to intrude and muddy up my creative juices upon occasion.

9. Write fan fiction? No.

10. Do you type or write by hand? I type, saves on paper - though I do at times miss having the crumpled up balls to toss at the wall.

11. Do you save everything you write? Most but not all.

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you’ve abandoned it? Rarely. Although, I keep a list of idea's and often two of them will merge and morph into a new idea.

13. What’s your favourite thing you’ve ever written? I can’t think of anything specific, I like making people laugh, so I feel good when I achieve that.

14. What’s everyone else’s favourite story that you’ve written? I’ve never asked, I haven’t shared my writing with very many people.

15. Ever written romance or angst teen drama? Yup on the romance.

16. What’s your favourite setting for your characters? At the moment, I’m into creating fantasy settings. One of my WiPs is set underground and the other on a fictional planet.

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now? Three.

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing? No.

19. What are your five favourite words? Is this a trick question? It feels a bit Rorschachy. I’m going to pass.

20. What character have you created that is most like yourself? They all have different parts of me…I can’t pick one.

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters? I tend to get the seed of a story and the characters are kind enough to show up.

22. Do you write based on your dreams? No, I stick to writing fiction.

23. Do you favour happy endings? Yes.

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write? Always. Although, I’ve learned to loosen up a bit. A creative writing teacher informed me that I had perfectionists block. I had a tendency to spend far too many hours attempting to perfect a sentence or a passage, not a productive way to write.

25. Does music help you write? I find classical very inspirational but prefer total silence when I’m writing. Although, once I’m completely immersed in ‘the zone’ I can block out just about any distraction.

26. Quote something you’ve written. Whatever pops into your head.

The following is a snippit from VALKREY'S MOON, pretty generic but I have a LOT of revising to do and it doesn't give away any of the story, which is still subject to change:

Dak was fully loaded when the man finished gearing him up. He slid his hand along the broad silver gun that hung from his hip and stretched down along his thigh to his knee.

“What should I know about this thing?” He asked.

“That thing, as you call it, is a long range weapon, equipped with an ionic self-generating internal power source. The ray is heat seeking, so basically, you just point and click. Think you can handle that cadet?” The snarky ensign said.

Dak ignored the barb. “What about a short range weapon?”

“Your other hip.”

“A knife?” Dak narrowed his eyes in disbelief.

“I don’t know what you’re worried about. Like the real SG’s are going to let you get anywhere close to the action.”

“Get me a freaking stun gun or something useful you little—“ Dak bared his teeth and the ensign promptly transported leaving Dak snarling at empty air. Damn he hated that.

“Are you ready Moon?” The mission commander called out as he approached.

“Just waiting for a short range weapon sir.”

“What’s wrong with the one you have?”

“Hacking people up with a knife seems a tad archaic.”

The commander laughed and pulled the knife from Dak’s hip. He aimed it at a steel barrel and a laser beam shot out and reduced the metal vessel to a pile of ashes. He laid the ‘knife’ in his palm and indicated two buttons with the index finger of his free hand. “Stun. Kill. It’s simple—“

“I know. Just point and click.” Dak said as he picked up the knife and slapped it back onto his hip.


* * *
This is where I'm supposed to tag a few people to play the twenty-six question game, *rubbing hands together in anticipation* hmmm...

No, I can't do it. Consider this an open invitation to participate. Or not. Reader's choice.

Thanks again Laura! I do believe this little game has prompted me to dive back into revision mode. Yay!

14 comments:

  1. I love your reaction to 19. What are your five favourite words? “Is this a trick question?” That’s my gut reaction to most questions.
    And I really enjoyed your excerpt. I could never write this genre and come up with stuff like “an ionic self-generating internal power source.” BIG imagination, there…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Meme! I was tagged already by L.T. I can't wait to tackle the questions.

    The five favorite words may stump me too. I love too many to name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget- That tends to be my gut reaction to most questions as well.

    I'm wondering where I'm going to come up with an "expert" to check my "ionic self-generating internal power source" techno-babble thingys? One of my brother-in-laws is a chemical engineer/sci-fi fan, so I may have to call on him..

    Tamika- Have fun with the questions Tamika. Looking forward to your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dakota Moon -- great name. Ionic self-generating internal power source sounds good to me (though, despite my technical background, I've never been overly concerned w/ technical feasibility :).

    And your answer to 24 made me smile b/c I'm kind of heading in that direction... used to just be free flowing (and couldn't understand people who said 'it takes me an hour to write a page.' -- ha! it now, sometimes, takes me 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I feel I would have to bow down from so many of these questions or answer so vaguely that it wouldn't we worth it, but they did make me think a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers, and loved the excerpt :)

    I love reading these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bane- Thanks, I'm not sure how important details like that would be in a romance novel. I was kidding about my BIL reading it - but since you wear the combination writer/ engineer hat.. I may one day call upon your knowledge for certain scenes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great list, Deb! I enjoyed getting to know you better.

    I hope the Christmas holiday gives you more time to write and the New Year, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alissa- I think I was pretty vague on some of them but like you say, they did make me think.

    L.T.- I love reading these too, the combination of the answers and the peak at different writing styles is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jarmara- Thanks and hope you find lots of time to write over the holidays as well, especially now that you're tackling a new project. Exciting!

    L.T. - That would be *peek. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was really fun to learn more about you this way. I loved the part of the story you shared, and wanted more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb- Thanks for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb, I really like this post! Love finding out all kinds of information about you. By the way, I know a real boy named Dakota Moon. He is fifteen and very sweet! He'll be thrilled to know there is a character out there that shares his name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angie- Cool to know that there's an actual Dakota Moon-I love the name! My Dakota starts out as a pacifist/reluctant hero type... the gun toting Dak in the excerpt above is out to save his woman, and the world, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete