Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December First

Good morning and welcome to December. Thanks to the six inches of snow that graced our world yesterday, I woke up to a winter wonderland. The beauty of it all warmed my soul and the spirit of Christmas began to seep in through Jack Frost's scribbles.




I smiled, grabbed the camera, and ran outside to snap a shot. The wonder of the pretty sunrise, and glowing thoughts of a white Christmas fled as the chill air nipped my ankles and numbed my fingers. Whoa, time to dig out the industrial strength house slippers. Holy Hannah in a hay wagon—it’s bitter freezing cold out there!

FYI: According to Holiday Insights list of Bizarre and Unique Holidays, today is Eat a Red Apple Day. As weird holidays go I think this is one that could be observed with little fuss and preparation. I'm going to skip it though, we have a far more festive occasion to celebrate today.

It's the cowpoke's birthday, (Happy Birthday Honey!) so I'm off to bake a chocolate cake. Likely that will be followed by a frantic search through the kitchen drawers looking for some gently used birthday candles. Wish me luck on that one...  And have a good day!

14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to the cowpoke, and gorgeous picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your guy has a great bday and I'm jealous of your snow! We finally had to switch from a/c to heater this week in the house, so it's barely chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture. I hope Cowpoke's birthday is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture!!! Happy Birthday, Cowpoke!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to the Cowpoke! And enjoy that winter wonderland. I pray for snow in this desert I live in. Last year we were surprised with one single, wonderful, day of snow that melted the very next morning. I'm crossing my fingers for another day like that.

    As for eating a red apple. Hmmm, I might just have to swing by the grocery store and get one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an amazing picture...it looks like something is glowing at the top of the picture! MAGIC!

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful picture! And happy b-day to your cowpoke. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to your cowpoke! December holds 3 birthdays in my group. Beautiful picture of the snow! We've had warnings for later this week. I don't think it will happen, though.

    Elspeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, Cowpoke. Since it's eat a red apple day, I have one question...do candied apples count?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, that is just beautiful! all that snow. Gosh I miss it. It is hot hot hot here. Have a lovely Dec!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Photo. Looks like a great day for a birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Bane... mmm, chocolate indeed. I sure hope the cowpoke has an awesome birthday. For my birthday (yesterday), I got the best gift of all... my Saints whomped the Patriots something awful. Woohoo! But I digress...

    That sure is one loverly picture. Don't think I'll be seeing a scene like that down here in the Big Sleazy. But, in honor of Eat a Red Apple Day, I did eat an apple... only mine was green. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A magical world outside your door. How pretty it all looks!

    ReplyDelete