Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December Reading List-Part Deux


I posted my November reading list with a December update on the 11th of this month, fully believing that I wouldn't have much reading time until after the New Year. Funny how things work out though, one of my dear holiday guests was kind enough to pass a lovely seasonal head cold along to me.

Although you may find this hard to believe (Re: The Grey Goose re-gifted Vodka Set post), I'm really not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Truly, I'd be hard pressed to complain about the miserable cold, as here I've been, snuggled up with my books, with the 'Poke bringing me copious amounts of honey sweetened tea, and kindly dipping his hands into the dishwater every night, so that I might crawl back into bed and read. Ahem, I meant to say--get my rest. Shhh, I think he and his dishpan hands may be becoming just a little suspicious...

The Promise
By Benita Brown

Eighteen year-old Marion Brookfield promises her father, on the night of his murder, that she will take care of her younger sister, Annette. Little does she know that this responsibility will turn her whole world upside down. Marion is kind and resourceful, but with very little money she struggles to look after her willful sister. When their wealthy landlord, Victor Bateman, proposes marriage... more here

Fortunes Daughter
By Benita Brown

Daisy Belle, a gifted singer from the Tyneside backstreets, is devastated when her baby daughter Rose goes missing. Little does she know Rose has been stolen and given to a wealthy woman who, tricked into believing she's an orphan, adopts her and renames her Rosina. Worse still it was all arranged by Daisy's ruthlessly ambitious agent Jack Fiddler. more here

(If you're a fan of Maeve Binchy and/or Catherine Cookson, I think you'll also enjoy Benita Brown.)

The Golden Compass (also published as The Northern Lights)
By Philip Pullman

Lyra Belacqua, a street-savvy and sassy little girl, takes the lead role. Raised and haphazardly educated by Oxford scholars, she has until now led a largely carefree and unconfined life. When her uncle, Lord Asriel, returns to Oxford from exploring in the North, he brings back word of strange events, mysterious Dust, and a photograph showing a city in the Aurora Borealis. His reports pique Lyra's insatiable curiosity and set in motion the wheels of her fate. more here

Standing on the Rainbow
By Fannie Flagg

Meet the unforgettable residents of Elmwood Springs, Missouri, in a story that captures the humorous and complex realities of ordinary people, including Neighbor Dorothy, a radio hostess, and her wayward son Bobby, the Oatman Family gospel singers, and hotshot salesman Hamm Sparks. more here

The Night Crew
By John Sandford

Anna Batory runs the night crew. Small, dark-haired, shy but tough, a Wisconsin farm girl on the streets of Los Angeles, she roams the city with her small band of video free-lancers in their truck from ten to dawn, looking for news: accidents, robberies, murders, demonstrations – anything they can shoot and sell to the local stations or the networks. It's an exhilarating life . . . until the day two deaths shake their world. more here

Mark of the Flame 
Yes, I even managed to fit in another read-through of my first manuscript. To toss or not to toss, that is the burning question...  
 
So, have you read any of these books? authors? Any cold remedies you'd like to share?

12 comments:

  1. Deb, I hope you get to feeling better before the New Year! Honey tea is a great remedy, and plenty of rest. Rest Deb!

    I haven't read as much as I would have like to this year, but I squeezed in a few that I am really impressed with.
    1)The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    2)The House at Riverton

    Fabulous books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read TGC. Interesting idea, and I liked the execution in book 1. Books 2 & 3 got a bit preachy for me (and this from an atheist's POV).

    Cold remedies -- more vodka? Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of them, but have a whole stack and a wish list...
    Hope you feel better soon, just make sure your recovery happens after that last batch of dishes is washed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did read and enjoy The Golden Compass and even enjoyed the movie, which I know a lot of people complained about. I know the big hoopla was about the atheist nature of the book, but I didn't realize that at the time I was reading it and just thought it was a good fantasy story. My guess is this is what most kids reading it get out of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say that I hope you feel better soon, but I guess you've actually kind of enjoyed being under the weather. :) Seriously, though, I do hope you feel better. I'd also like to say that I've thouroughly enjoyed getting to know you this year. I feel like we started this blogging journey together. Thanks for being such a great friend. I can't wait to see what 2010 brings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamika- Thanks, I googled and they look like good reads- they're on my list!

    Bane- I enjoyed the read, liked the characters and basic plot but found the whole Dust theory a little lacking... mind you, I read it with a stuffed up head so it could be that my brain powers were somewhat lacking... :D

    Bridget- I'm not surprised you haven't had time to read with all the revising you've been doing. Thanks for the well wishes. Hope you can squeeze some reading time in in the New Year!

    Alissa- I think you're probably right about the kids. My youngest is going to order the movie so I'll give it a watch.

    Susan- I have enjoyed the time to read part of it but frankly I'm getting a little sick of being sick!

    I've enjoyed getting to know you as well--you were the first to comment and follow my blog :)

    I think the first time I visited your blog was the day after you had revamped to the shoe theme. It's been fun, looking forward to more in 2010 LW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how sometimes you have to be sick to get any rest, huh? Sounds like a great bunch of books. I've mostly been reading nonfiction lately, and I started on "The Angel's Game," Carlos Ruiz Zafon's new book, which has a first paragraph that will capture any writer's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved THE GOLDEN COMPASS!

    As for cold remedies...keep up with the tea, but also drink plenty of orange juice and gargle with Listerine!

    I'm glad the 'Poke is doing the dishes--nice guy. :) Feel well soon and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read The Golden Compass and loved it. Haven't heard of the others.
    Have a blessed 2010, Deb. Extremely pleased that we've connected. Alas, I have no remedies. Do hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda- It does seem to work that way. It's been quite a few years since I've caught anything so I must have been due some down time. I'll check out "The Angel's Game", that first paragraph teaser has me intrigued!

    Dawn- I haven't gargled with Listerine but I think the hot tea is a good germ killer as well. Oh, and I've still got Christmas oranges around to munch on! Happy New Year!

    Angie- Looks like "The Golden Compass" is the book read by the most this month. Best of everything in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must be a fast reader!

    Happy New Year, Deb! I hope you're feeling better, and that you have a blessed and full 2010 ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janna- I suppose I read fairly fast, but I did have a lot of enforced down time while I was getting through these!

    ReplyDelete