Thursday, January 28, 2010

In Memory of Josh

The 'Poke and I sat in a memory circle today, with our son, at the highschool. We gathered in memory of a young man who took his life this week...Josh. You would have to look long and hard to find a more well-liked person than Josh. Many nice things were said in the circle about Josh by the other ten kids in his grad class (those that could speak), and the other students and staff, but the one thing that came up again and again was his smile and his ability to make others do the same. It was heartwrenching seeing what those kids and teachers are going through, not to mention thinking what Josh's family is enduring.

I managed a sentence and a half of this post, the 'Poke wrote the rest, sometimes there are no words. Hug your kids, and tell them that you love them. Everyday.

14 comments:

  1. That was kind of you to attend with your son.

    I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in "raising" our children, we forget they are also adults in the making, with problems and issues to big to know how to share.

    And I will take your advice and hug my kids tonight. They've gotten to big to think they need it; but I need it.

    Find peace in your grief, and solace in sharing with others.

    .........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been telling my daughter every day since she was born. Life is fleeting and every moment is precious. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thoughts going your way Deb. The mind is a curious and complex thing.... And the place we go after is supposed to be glorious. I always think writers feel empathy on a deeper level. We can see and understand far too well the characters and actions all around us. It's almost too much. Love to you and yours. I will hug my girls a little harder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that, Deb...
    ...was wondering why we hadn't heard from you this week...that's all I can say without getting choked up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Deb and 'Poke. There are no words in response to this. Really, what could be said?

    I'll carry those hurting in my heart today, with all the ones this makes me remember losing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb- I have no words. I pray I never miss the opportunity to give my kids the very best of me. Everyday filled with more love than they can comprehend- isn't that how much God loves us. More than we will ever comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hug your kids, hug everyone you love... it's a reminder I definitely need sometimes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sad. I'm hugging my kids as we speak and my thoughts go out to Josh's family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot imagine what Josh's family is going through. It makes my brain explode. What a lovely person you are to be part of the memory circle. I wish you and your family happier days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all, your words and thoughts are very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh no....*sigh* - my thoughts are with Josh's family and friends....just so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Deb. What a horrible last two weeks! Josh is the fourth person that I've heard had committed suicide. And three of my dear friends died. Peace and comfort upon all the remaining. Words simply fail me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathryn- It's very sad.

    Angie- My condolances.. words really aren't enough. I was shocked to hear that Josh was the third suicide the district response team had been called out to within less than a week. I feel like I've been living under a rock, I simply had no idea.. It's not the sort of thing one hears about on the news.

    ReplyDelete