This award comes with a few rules; thank the person who endowed the award upon you, share five personal things about yourself, and pass it along to five other bloggers.
1. I was addicted to the game Mob Wars on Facebook for over a year. I signed up to help a few of my young relatives enlarge their mobs and ended up getting sucked in. My player name - Manifesto Incognito. I'm happy to say that blogging cured me of that little addiction...
2. There are apparently no limits to the lengths I will go to in order to have something to talk about with my offspring. Two winters ago I read the entire Wheel of Time series at the behest of one of my sons. If you are familiar with the WoT series you will know that I waded through something in the neighbourhood of three million words in twelve gi-normous books. This year I read the Twilight series after a nudge from one of my granddaughters. I'm not sure if this makes me a good person or just another sad sack martyr? You tell me.
3. I'm terrified of earwigs, and gory scenes in books and movies give me nightmares. Yet I have no qualms when it comes to catching slimy little calves in my bare hands as they enter the world. I guess there's gore and then there's gore.
4. I'm a die-hard romantic, I try to look on the bright side, and see the beauty in all things. I recall one autumn night, standing out in the freezing cold, assisting the 'Poke as he stitched up a prolapsed cow. Not fun for the cow or for us, but there was this amazing sky, with millions of stars and a plump harvest moon shining down on us...
5. I have been known to don an evening dress upon occasion. I once played Vanna White at a charity auction. Though I much prefer the organizing and behind-the-scenes grunt work involved in putting these events together, I am capable of socializing and can "work a room" if the occasion demands. (Just thought I'd casually mention that, in case any agents are lurking about wondering if a rube such as I would be capable of putting myself forth in a marketing capacity. You never know...)
I'm passing this award on to five great blogger's that I haven't previously passed to. Head on over and visit their blogs!
Alissa at Slightly More Than Dirt
Scott at 275 Words (one man. one year. one novel.)
Angie at Angie Muresan
Deb at Catbird Scout
Yaya at Yaya's Changing World
I'd also like to thank Yaya for the Happy 101 award. This award requires me to share ten things that make me happy and pass it along to ten fellow bloggers. Mmm, cupcakes with sprinkles!
I'm going to need a little help filling out my "ten things that make me happy list". Okay, I could easily come up with ten things, but I'm a little curious to know what you all think I would put on my happy list. Your suggestions gratefully appreciated!
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!


I know the cowpoke makes you happy!
ReplyDeleteBridget- I knew I should have made it a stipulation that the cowpoke was a given. I feel so transparent..
ReplyDeleteAlthough, if you had asked the same question I would have suggested a Hot Toddie...
ReplyDeleteWoT and Twilight? Wow. I liked the first 5 WoTs, but things definitely ground to a halt w/ LoC. Good on ya for being so amenable to the ways of the littl'uns :)
ReplyDeleteBane- Had to laugh at "the littl'uns", WoT boy has a good ten inches on me and Twilight girl can look me in the eye :) I have to agree that many of the later books were a real slog. If memory serves, one of my faves was KoD. I still want to read the Gathering Storm. My son tells me that Brandon Sanderson clips along at a better pace and - I guess this might be a bit of a spoiler - he's broken the tradition of only "offing" an MC every second book...
ReplyDeleteHa, when you've got like 50 MCs, you've got plenty of fodder -- hopefully it's one of those whiny girls :)
ReplyDeleteBane- LOL! I was going to tsk, tsk you but I would have to concede that I wouldn't miss... Nyveyne? Okay that's way wrong, but the one with the big braid, the big mouth, and the big name that no one can pronounce...
ReplyDeleteYep, she'd be at the top of my list, half b/c I can't say her name and whenever I read it I think her parents must have hated her to name her something so awful.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the awards! And I'm with you on the earwigs. Eww.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Deb! I share your fear of scary movies, I have nightmares for a lifetime.
ReplyDeleteI would love to see you in a pic as Vanna White! How fun!
Bane- Yeah, if you can't say it, it becomes a "symbol" and who would do that to their kid? Shoot. I'm starting to feel sorry for her now. If I had to guess - I'd bet you anything that she's going to be "the last 'man' standing".
ReplyDeleteRoni- I can't even think about them without shuddering!!!
Tamika- Thanks and I'll have to think about sharing a picture :)
ReplyDeleteYum- those cupcakes make me want cake!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your awards!
Whoa! What a deal. You are very popular. As entertaining as you are with your writing, though, I can understand why. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteWordy
Word Designer
Stephanie- I'm wheat intolerant so I'd actually give just about anything for a raggedy little slab of bread slathered in butter. A cupcake is hard to even imagine :)
ReplyDeleteWord Designer- Thanks! Do you have a blog? I looked and couldn't find one..
Hi Deb, another award for your wonderful blog and for being such a great online friend. When you have time please drop by for a chat and a cuppa.
ReplyDeleteDeb; you're just adorable. I read through your posts all the way through Jan 1, and sorry, no other way to put it. What a unique voice you have.
ReplyDeleteIt'd be cool to see you in an evening dress, but I can totally envision you looking up at the stars while a bovine in birthed.
Thanks for sharing yourself.
...........dhole
Thanks so much, Deb, for the award. I'm looking forward to checking out my fellow honorees.
ReplyDeleteI have the same issue with earwigs - I think it was those stories older kids told about them crawling into your brain. It makes me shudder even now.
I really loved the picture of you and the 'poke outside together fixing that cow and being in the universe. Gorgeous writing.
And anyone who reads that many books to connect with kids is a saint.
I love the way you slid in a nudge to agents who might stop by. Very cute.
ReplyDeleteI would guess you like the 'Poke and being outdoors.
Helen
Straight From Hel
Thanks, Deb!
ReplyDeleteOne of the things that always makes me happy is a good book (and plenty of time to read it!)
Jarmara- Thanks so much for thinking of me, much appreciated. And here's to cuppa's and chats with friends!
ReplyDeleteDonna- Wow, thanks for taking the time to read. Adorable made me smile and it's nice to hear that someone finds my voice unique. Thanks for stopping by!
Deb- You're very welcome and I think you're spot on with the earwig story. I don't have the same fear of other bugs, so that has to be it.
Helen- I was going for subtle, yet blunt :) And you're right about the 'Poke and the outdoors. Thanks for stopping by!
Alissa- You're welcome, and reading and free time definitely make the list!
Congrats on the awards, Vanna. ;) Maybe #1 on your ten things that make you happy list should be cupcakes with sprinkles.
ReplyDeleteI second Tamika - I'd love to see the Vanna get-up. I'm snorting just thinking about it!
ReplyDeleteAs to the earwigs, I'm not a big fan either. Never saw so many until I started spending summers in the woods of northern Michigan. Although I'd take an earwig over a New Orleans cockroach any day! And I mean that sincerely.
As you might've guessed, I have no trouble with gory movies and books - in fact, I'd rather them than having to get dressed up fancy-like (even if it would help me snag an agent).
Hi Deb, finally back home. Catching calves sounds intense and amazing!!
ReplyDeleteDawn- Haha! And that's a very good idea!
ReplyDeleteLaura- Makes me snort too and don't make me put a face on that snowman lol. I don't think I've ever seen a cockroach but they sound disgusting! I admire your fortitude when it comes to the frightening, honestly, I think I miss out on a lot of good movies for want of a spine. I might consider watching one if it meant snagging an agent - that's a decision I hope I never have to make :D
Paul- Intense and amazing describes it perfectly. It's also a little terrifying because a "catch" is generally preceeded by a birthing problem (breech etc) that has required a tough pull.
ReplyDeleteYour alligator adventure pics were awesome - not sure I'd have the courage to hike through that lot. Welcome back!
Congrats on the awards and I share your aversion to earwigs. Ever seen "The Wrath of Khan"? One scene is nightmare-worthy.
ReplyDeleteElspeth
Oh Deb... How sweet of you! Thank you so very much for the lovely award. :)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I'm terrified of gory scenes in books and movies as well.
Angie- You're very welcome!
ReplyDelete