First off, he gazed upon the quirky astrologically themed clock that he had previously gifted me with. Said time keeping device, in its virgin form, had been a hideously generic plaster thingy. Last winter I painstakingly embellished the poor dear thing with an 'uptown’ metallic finish. Detail Orientated Brother’s comment: “You see, I knew that was possible.” Me: Yes.
Next stop my dining room, which boasts the largest (actually pretty much the only) south-facing window in the house. DOB’s comment, “Your plants are happy.” Me: Yes.
And then we reach the mudroom, where I have yet another of his cool gifts—which I have sadly relegated to the position of doorstop... (And yes that is a serious layer of dust coating that baby, but in my defense, I have been focused on my writing) DOB’s comment: E-bay $425.00. Me: YES!!!
And so for my question of the day What am I? (Picture #3)
Hint: This is so going to come in handy when I hit revision mode. :) Any guesses?
A fire pit????
ReplyDeleteLW-Not a fire pit. Although, I will definitely keep that in mind when I hit the revisions :)
ReplyDeleteA spittoon would be my best guess?
ReplyDeleteLol, yeah, I was going to go with L. T. Host's guess. It looks like it's filled with cement or something. Cool stuff!
ReplyDeleteAn ashtray, an urn, or a fancy Roman helm :)
ReplyDeleteSo it has something to do with cigars. Ashtray, I would guess too.
ReplyDeleteA scale?
ReplyDeleteLT-If there was a prize to be had you would have won it :) A spittoon it is!
ReplyDeleteBJ-Good pick, it's empty but better cement than what it was originally intended for eh!
Bane-LOL! I like the fancy Roman helm idea. That would be so much cooler than having a spittoon. :)
Lori-I'm impressed that you could make out the word cigar on that terrible picture. The spittoon is a piece of memorabilia from the John Hays Cigar Co. It reads 'all famous Havana 5 cent cigars'. A creative bit of advertising I suppose.
Suzanne-I wish it was a scale, at least then it would have a practical purpose!
My Dad had one, yep he was a tobacco chewing guy. Yet, it's a spittoon - I think I still have my Dad's - just like that - in the basement, tucked away.
ReplyDeleteI don't know. I'm going to have to disagree with Bane. A spittoon would be pretty cool to have, especially since I plan to take a wine-tasting class, and I hear "real" wine connoisseurs never swallow.
ReplyDeleteIncidentally, if I had caught this post earlier, I would've guessed a "spittoon," too. It's FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON all over again. Guess I'm just too slow for such guessing games...
Oops. I meant to say... I'm going to have to disagree with your comment to Bane. Poor Bane, always gettin' the blame.
ReplyDeleteKim-I wish I could say that have hidden treasures on our hands but I googled and one sold for only $35, ah well, they actually work okay as plant stands :)
ReplyDeleteLaura-The wine tasting class sounds like fun. You'll be able to guest post as the wine expert on hubby's cooking blog :)
Can't believe you came up with a classy way to use a spittoon--good one!
I'm too late, but I thought it was a spittoon too! Really!
ReplyDeleteRegarding the dust, good for you that you're writing instead of dusting! It all just comes back anyway. (Read as: Dawn is putting off the dusting and doesn't want to feel guilty about it.)
Dawn-I probably should have waited longer before putting up the answer... And I'm glad you get the layer of dust thing :)
ReplyDeleteMy grandpa had one just like this...in fact...hmmm...there may very well be a DNA match to me in that sucker (or should I say "spitter")!
ReplyDeleteDusting is way over rated :))
ReplyDeleteThat clock is awesome. :)
ReplyDeleteSome sort of receptacle for alcohol?
ReplyDeleteAnita-LOL! Hmmm...there could well be a story buried deep within the bowels of the copper spittoon :)
ReplyDeleteTabitha-Oh yeah!
FG-I'd send it off to you in heartbeat but one of my GD's has already cried dibs...
Stephanie-Perhaps Laura has the right idea...
ReplyDelete