In 1994/1995 the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) hosted an awe-inspiring art exhibit . The Barnes Exhibit was a major showing of French impressionist and post-impressionist artists. The paintings on display belonged to the Barnes Foundation established by Albert C. Barnes.
The eighty work collection included works by Renoir, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Picasso, Matisse, Modiglianni, Monet, De La Fresnaye, Rousseau, Degas, and if memory serves, Toulouse Lautrec.
Ah, a little inspiration was just what I needed to start the creative juices flowing. I'm so ready to go out to the shop and paint that cabinet! *sigh*
I popped over to Lazy Writer's blog before posting this and she is talking about inspiration today as well. So it occurs to me now that I would have been further ahead to talk about the literary classics this week to poke myself back into writing mode! Doh!
“The world of art is a world which has been made by human beings for the direct satisfaction of their wishes. It is the real world stripped of what is meaningless and alien and remolded nearer to the heart’s desire. ~Albert C. Barnes







I love the idea of art being an ispiration to you. And, if I were you, I'd channel those creative juices into writing. Forget about the cabinet! :)
ReplyDeleteLW-I'd love to but the cabinet is a project I agreed to take on for someone else. The good news is that the cowpoke has informed me that he has to do some repair work on it before I start painting.. I may get some words in today after all!
ReplyDeleteBreathtaking art! I think any creativity inspires me. Just seeing how other people are translating what they're feeling.
ReplyDeleteStephanie-It is so inspirational to see translations of others creativity, when they create something powerful enough to tap your emotions... It gives us something to aspire to--I for one love a challenge!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the poke. Very needed.
ReplyDeleteLori-You're welcome, any time!
ReplyDeleteThis is GREAT! I remember when I went to Amsterdam and I saw Van Gogh's in person. I cried. It was so moving. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the artwork. I haven't tried looking at paintings for writing inspiration, but I often turn to songs when I'm feeling creatively blank. Usually some lyric will spark me.
ReplyDeleteSuzanne-Yes, it is an emotional experience! Must have been awesome to see Van Gogh in Amsterdam. I didn't want to leave the gallery and I still get a strange feeling in my stomach when I think about standing in front of those paintings.
ReplyDeleteFictionGroupie-I've got to start listening to music again! Our CD player went on the fritz but there's no reason why I can't plug into some online tunes. I think I'm more inspired by the instrumentals than lyrics.
ReplyDeleteI'm always thinking they're singing different words than they actually are so that might explain my problem lol
Love the art work. when I went to Paris (long time ago, before kids) I saw many amazing artworks up close a personal. I think for me part of the inspiration lies in how old these paintings are and how uninspiring people found many of them in the age they were actually painted. Great post.
ReplyDeleteTabitha-It is interesting how tastes and opinions change with time--and rather unfortunate for the poor struggling artists. I'd love to see the sights in Paris one day, I bet you have some good memories.
ReplyDeleteDeb - Thanks for the inspirational paintings. I love the Impressionist gallery at the Art Institute of Chicago - in fact, I wrote all about it in my OTHER blog. LOL.
ReplyDeleteI love art, but, like FictionGroupie, I find that music inspires me more... especially instrumental songs like classical pieces and movie scores.
And how sad that many artists weren't recognized in their lifetime. Doesn't bode well for us, methinks!
LOL Laura--I feel like a dummy! I know you must have mentioned or linked to American Nomad before, apparently I missed it--and that's probably because I didn't want to stop reading your post to wander off to a link. That's a compliment in a round about rambling way:) I'm going to have to spend some time looking through your other stuff to see what I've missed!
ReplyDeleteYou're no dummy, my dear Deb. I'm just overextended... my fault, not yours. ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome exhibit! One thing I miss about living out east is the Museum of Fine Arts, in Boston...
ReplyDeleteI'm a girl who needs to back away from the computer more often--good for you for getting out!