Thursday, September 3, 2009

Embracing Morning’s Watery Gifts


How beautiful is the rain!
After the dust and the heat,
In the broad and fiery street,
In the narrow lane,
How beautiful is the rain!
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow








I crawled reluctantly from my bed this morning and plodded towards the coffee pot—the kitchen window framed a sullen sky; frail leafy poplars danced and dipped maniacally in the wind.


I slipped back in time to my years on the island and my ingrained foggy morning reaction was—ugh—‘It’s a blustery day Pooh’.

Wait a minute—it’s raining. Water is cascading from the eaves in a coastal like torrent. Hurray!
My thirsty plants are gleefully absorbing the squelchy offering and as to the neighboring forest fire, all I can say to you is, “Hahahahahaha!” Eloquent huh.

And to top off my morning perfectly—I was gifted with an award.

Congratulations to Dawn VanderMeer over at Plotting and Scheming for her recent acquisition of the Splish Splash Award. The Splish Splash Award is a tribute to dazzling blogs. If you haven’t dropped by her site yet—head on over and say hey—it’s a nice place to visit. And many thanks Dawn for passing the award on to me :)




I would like to pass the Splish Splash Award on to:
B.J. Anderson B.J. Anderson
Laura Martone Laura’s Simple Pleasures
Lazy Writer A Walk in My Shoes
FictionGroupie FictionGroupie
Stephanie Faris Steph in the City
Kathryn Magendie Tender Graces
Suzanne Tales of Extraordinary Ordinariness
And to one other who shall remain nameless...
Thanks to all who stop by to splash your views and great comments into my little puddle of the blogisphere. Much appreciated.
My satellite internet signal has been playing Catch Me If You Can all day so I hope I haven't messed up any links..
Have a great day!

45 comments:

  1. See, now, that's the perfect way to accept an award--good for you!

    I'm really glad about your rain, given all those nice veggies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I didn't even know I'd gotten an award. Off to put it on my page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Strange! You definitley deserve it. I was going to give it to you myself, but I wanted to spread the love around a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, shucks, thanks, D. L.! I so appreciate this award... and I feel really humbled to have been included with such awesome blogs, including yours!

    Now, usually, there are some "rules" attached to these bloggy awards... so, what are my rules? How many loverly folks am I supposed to send it to? I'm itching to send it along!

    Thanks again - I'm really tickled rosy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol LW, you know the way! And congrats yourself!

    Laura- Um, the rules seemed to have become lost in transition/translation. Not to worry, I think that means that you can give it to who ever and how ever many you like. Have fun splashing it around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and remember--there are no bloggy police; or so I've been told...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you keep saying, Bridget, so you keep saying... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, no ones actually seen them, have they, Laura? And even if they were real, what's the worst they could do?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, since we're on this topic, why do I recieve the complicated version of awards that inspire paranoia--you know, about the bloggy police?

    ReplyDelete
  10. JB-It's nothing if not ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just did a Google on "nothing if not ironic", and came up with 168,000 matches. So much for originality.
    Honestly, I need to back away from the computer...NOW...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, even WORD VERIFICATION says so: SCRAM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should take that Word Verification thing off--I had no idea what it was up to. I'm paranoid today though..I had to remove a follower of a dubious.. nature..shall we say..

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny that you got the splish splash award on a rainy day. :) Thanks for passing it along to me! Enjoy the rain. I wish we could get some down here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful way to describe your morning.

    I'm so happy you're enjoying your award--you totally deserve it. You do have a dazzling blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. FictionGroupie-It was a cool coincidence.. Hope you get some rain down there too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dawn- Thanks and it's been fun! You made my day. I'm not sure if I can live up to dazzling lol I'm looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Phew! I'm just glad that I wasn't the follower removed... wait, I wasn't, was I?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laura-Of course not lol - I had a new follower pop up today-the blog was in Italian and lets just say that, well, ahem, I don't think she was a writer in her spare time... well I suppose she could have been like a photo-journalist.. nah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha. That's hilarious... and kind of irksome, too - there are infiltrators everywhere, I tell you. Uh-oh, now I'm beginning to sound as paranoid as Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the award.
    I love rain too. The way you describe it reminds me of Barbara Kingsolver and her observation of how city and country people perceive rain differently: while the first ones only get annoyed by it, the others can see its magic. I love rain.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laura, comments behind my back are not helping me overcome my paranoia!(smiley face)

    Sorry to get this all over your nice post, D.L..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful rain! Your gardens shall thirst no more. :)

    Congrats on the award, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Lori! I suppose like everything it all comes down to how we are personally affected by it. Splashing to your office on puddled sidewalks probably isn't as gratifying as the knowledge that rain=more grass and more grass=less money spent on purchasing hay.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for my morning chuckle Laura & JB! And no worries JB, I love a good debate :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Janna and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. THANKS AND WOW! Wow wow wow on that amazing taste, tantalizing rendition of your morning. I can see the floor and feel my feet walking with you. Thanks. Really. How I love to remember how I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Suzanne-You're welcome and thank you so much for the great comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope your internet conection improves soon,SF.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Jarmara! It's all good today.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oops, sorry, D. L. I didn't mean to cause a ruckus on your blog... and, Bridget, I didn't mean anything by it, honest. I was just teasing... believe me, I already feel indebted to you. The last thing I'd want is to offend. :-) Now, I'm off to your blog to say the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I took it all in good humour... :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It will all be good! Bridget is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks, D. I appreciate that... and now I should scoot outta the blogosphere... or I'll never get poor Bridget's critique done!

    ReplyDelete
  35. D.L. & Laura,
    You are both so funny, I go to bed and the two of you go into cahoots! I guess when I respond to Laura’s comments I need to give in and use an emoticon so she knows I’m happy.:) Ouch—that actually hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Laura-You're most welcome..have fun with the critique!

    JB- LOL! It gets easier with practice :) :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hahaha! What a silly pair you make. D.L. - thanks for the positive vibes (and for the water suggestion on my blog). And Bridget - what can I say? You so crazy! ;-)

    P.S. I don't know what the big deal is... I love emoticons! I only worry that, because they've become such a habit for me, I might accidentally put them in a query to an agent. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  39. *teehee* thank you for the splish spash ....
    *smiling*

    and what beautiful words here today ...

    ReplyDelete
  40. LOL Laura! You wouldn't do that :)

    Kathryn, you're welcome--and thank you!

    ReplyDelete