"Anyone? Anyone?" Sorry - wrong Jennifer Grey movie.
Recall the opening scene of Dirty Dancing: The Housemans are in the family car on their final approach to Kellermans - bucolic scenery visable through the windows of the '63 Olds. Daddy and Mommy are in the front, Baby and Lisa in the back.
Lisa is sitting primly, in a lovely dress, and gazing with critical intent into an ornate object. The article in her hand appears to be a hand mirror. Ahhh, she's inspecting her perfectly made-up face and her sleekly contrived hair-do. No jumping out of the shower, shaking the hair dry, and running out the door for that girl.
And then there's Baby: She's curled up in the corner of the backseat with a book in her hands, sans makeup, wearing cut-off blue jeans, and sporting a sensible low maintainance home perm. I'm guessing that she had no interest in curling and fussing with her hair. In fact, ten bucks says that her mother made her get that perm. (If you're reading today Mum - I'm not bitter:)
There is of course dialogue in this scene, but I've got a pretty good grasp of the characters from the visuals alone.
Did you happen to notice the title of the book Baby was reading?


I don't remember the book, but I sure do remember the Toni home perms :)
ReplyDeleteMy favorite movie of all time. Know all the words by heart. I believe I know the answer, but since I'm your first commenter, I won't say so as to give other people a chance to guess. :)
ReplyDeleteI watched this movie approximately a million times when I was younger, but cannot for the life of me tell you what the book was.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen that movie in sooo long! I don't remember. Fun question, though. :)
ReplyDeleteBRIDGET, thanks for "Toni". Believe it or not I had wiped the name of the evil potion from my brain. Post traumatic stress syndrome? :D
ReplyDeleteRONI it's one of my top 10 for sure. (And thanks for holding onto your answer :)
ALISSA, it was one of the first three movies I owned in the early days of VHS... I only recently noticed the book cover.
DAWN - I confess, I probably still watch it at least once a year :)
Nope, I have no clue what the book was, but I definitely loved the movie. One of my favorites. Now I can't wait to find out what book she was reading. Fun post that brought back lots of great memories for me. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI've never seen that movie.
ReplyDeleteMe!
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen dirty dancing.
I suspect I'm not going to rush out to see it now.
Al
Publish or Perish
Gosh, you're all such girls (stay strong, Stephanie)! :p -- If you ask me, the movie was kind of creepy... I don't have a clue what the book was, but perhaps something with the word 'Lolita' in it :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't watched it in so long I had no clue she was reading a book. Ah well.
ReplyDeleteHappy to be the bringer of good memories SUSAN.
ReplyDeleteSTEPHANIE, you should try to see it at least once :)
AL - Really? :D
Ew, ouch BANE, and no on the Lolita related reading material... Dangerous affairs those summer camps :)
L.T.- And yet life goes on :)