In the first scene of Dirty Dancing (in the family car) Baby Houseman is reading:
The Plight of the Peasant by Gregg MacPherson.
I attempted to google for info and/or a cover shot of the author and book, but they're either obscure or the book jacket was created as a prop. The title is in keeping with Baby's intent to study the economics of underdeveloped countries.
One of my characters in Valkrey's Moon is reading, and I just noticed that I neglected to put a title on the book. I'll have to rectify that missed opportunity to show a bit more about my character.
Are any of your characters reading a book? Do they have any magazines cluttering their coffee or kitchen tables? What are your character's favourite books or magazines?

One of my characters is reading a motorcycle magazine. I didn't title the magazine, but maybe I should instead of 'telling'. This would be a great opportunity to 'show'. Thanks for bringing this up!
ReplyDeleteMy characters are in the near future, so anything they read is on tablets, which means no need for titles (it's all dragon news anyway; no books).
ReplyDeleteYes! Robinson Crusoe, of course!
ReplyDeleteSusan- Probably lots of magazine titles to choose from. Should be able to find one that will point the reader towards your characters demographics.
ReplyDeleteBane- Dragon news! I'm very curious about your new WiP.
Bridget- Perfect! And what else would it possibly be? :)
I'm ashamed to say my characters have only bee cought reading old love letters, and medical files.
ReplyDeleteForgive my spelling! They are only reading old love letters and medical files!
ReplyDeleteIs it Friday yet?
Tamika- Do I detect a bit of a mystery, a search into the past?
ReplyDeleteAnd I know the feeling - Friday will soon be here :)
Ha, none of my characters are reading...excellent point though!
ReplyDeletemuch love
It is a very good point, and one I feel like I should give more thought to. I kind of like the idea of making up a book and an author.
ReplyDeleteStacey- You could always toss a book on the coffee table, or at an annoying character. Many uses for the book. :)
ReplyDeleteAlissa- Making one up does have a certain appeal. Would that make it fictional fiction?! I'm really curious about the story behind the book in DD..
Two of my characters read in Veiled. One reads The Times and the other reads an unspecified book.
ReplyDeleteI'll clearly have to rectify this in my WIP.
Al
Publish or Perish