Saturday, November 7, 2009

Writing Interrupted

I've had a busy week. No time to write, no time to revise, no time to blog.

I returned from a trip to the big city armed with painting supplies - the desire to paint my living room became a burning necessity after we ripped a wall apart to put in a new window.



The window is wonderful, my space is light and bright and cheerful. Actually, it's a little too bright and revealing at times - will need some curtains to preserve that air of mystery. I'm sure no one is overly interested in how long I stay in my robe some mornings but still...

Now that the wall is finished we're thinking that perhaps we should move the computer desk over to the new wall. We'll have to drill a hole (in the newly finished wall) for the satellite cable.

I may not be writing be I can't help but compare the renovation to my revisions. Cut, patch, cut, patch, add a new element, move things around...

Hope you all are having a good weekend!

27 comments:

  1. There's something really satisfying about having a bright new space -especially with winter coming on. Great analogy with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a big job. But I'm sure it was worth it in the end. Just like your revisions will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like quite a project, but it will be beautiful in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus, getting this done may help you become an even better writer, right? At least that's the excuse I'm using for various projects around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed you Deb! Glad to hear you are knocking some walls out and clearing space for fresh ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, I love LIGHT! So great. It is a busy time! You will get to the writing, revising.

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best with the project :) Life gets in the way of writing often. I think that is the way t is supposed to be. What else would we write about if all we lived was writing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always figured the only way I'd sit at a desk all day and write is if it faced an open window...with a view. I just feel too closed off otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie-Thanks!

    Deb-So true. My winter is already feeling brighter and more promising!

    Susan-Thanks, I hope you're right :)

    quixotic- It's a satisfying project. I realized when I got up this morning and walked into the room that I smiled. That's progress!

    Anita-It will make me a happier writer for sure. I find if I let these projects pile up on me they start to bury my writing creativity. Good luck with your projects!

    Tamika- Well said and thanks! I miss reading everones blogs too.

    Stacey-Light is a good thing! And I will get to it.

    Tabitha-That's so true!

    Stephanie- I'm going to place my desk facing a wall so I'll actually be able to see out of all the windows in the room depending on which way I tilt my head. And I agree, I love the outdoors too much to shut myself off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came from another blog (Carol, writer's porch) who is doing renovations to a room!

    I have lots of windows - to see our mountains and nature - and since we are placed stagged on the mountain, no one can see inside our house - so I don't have curtains! though we do have wood blinds we can close if we want to.... :)

    Show us pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Renovations are never fun, yet afterward the new place is such a joy. Particularly with all those windows and the inspiring views.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Letting some light in for the winter. That's a great idea. Enjoy the new space you created!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love "a room with a view" (great book/movie, too!). That's why I get so much done in northern Michigan - right outside my office window is a lovely forest - talk about inspiring!

    And I love finding real-life analogies for writing... keeps things in perspective. Good luck with the painting and the revising! Can't wait till you're ready for betas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kat-I love places set in the 'no curtains required zone' and I so envy your views! I'm currently living in a bit of a hollow, at a high altitude, which means I'm on top of a mountain and have to travel up the road to see actual mountain views!! I'll get a couple pics up when I finish--still pickin away at it :)

    Angie-I love being able to see more of the outdoors. My views will be prettier in the summer when the gardens wake up, but the added light is such a spirit booster on these short, blustery days.

    Paul- Thanks! You're much farther north than we are, I can imagine that you would appreciate the extra brightness!

    Laura- I should have saw that coming - I knew that Room With a View was one of your faves!
    And I can't wait to be ready either! We'll get there...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, getting the right light (whether that nice morning spray or that late afternoon one) can work wonders...

    Sounds like you've got a pretty amazing setup (of course, that's coming from someone who doesn't have to deal w/ the renovation aspect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Because of this post, I added "A Room with a View" to my profile. Of course, if I were really honest, my favorite movie and book lists would be a mile long!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the new window! Once you're done, I've a bathroom that needs serious work...

    Elspeth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you, improving your working space. That will feel so good when it's done! You're right about the comparison: cut, patch, cut, patch... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have no idea how much I relate to the whole renovation/revision parallelism. I have spent the past 20 years in a state of reconstruction on nearly every front, our homes being the least of which. There is something very gratifying about having a vision of what you hope to accomplish and then seeing it to fruition, through all the rock-wool/sheetrock/saw dust, the tears, the killing off darlings, the times when you can scarcely get out of bed, but in the end—wow. The satisfaction.
    The trick of it is, staying focused; keep your vision always in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bane- The renovation aspect isn't so bad, I feel pretty good--could be the paint fumes :D

    Laura- I could have scary long lists too but there are those few that are nearer and dearer to us. :)

    Elspeth- Thanks and your last comment made me laugh out loud. It struck me as so Canadian :)

    Dawn- It will feel good. I'm getting more and more excited about getting back to work on my revisions. Or maybe I just want an excuse to sit down... hehe

    J.B.- Thanks I truly needed that. I seem to have lost my focus of late and meeting the challenge of seeing my visions through to completion has always been my driving force. So glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck with the renovations and revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with it. It reminds me that I have some work to do in my basement. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, great space! And I love the window. It will all be worth it in the end. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Linda- Seems there's always something that needs doing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. B.J. - The extra light is great. I'm hoping to finish the project today...

    ReplyDelete