Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Installing WiP Progress Bars

I've posted this information before, but thought I'd put it up again in case any NaNoWriMo participants are interested in putting a progress bar up on their site.

I found these instructions straight forward: Installing WiP Progress Bars

I recommend scrolling down to the section that says "New Blogger" Installation Instructions and going from there.


Stephanie L. McGee found this site :  HTML Colour Codes which offers a great colour selection so you can match your bar up with the colours on your site.

I find progress bars highly motivational. I think it may have something to do with public accountability :)
Do you have progress bars on your site? Do they motivate you?

8 comments:

  1. I don't have any right now, but I'm not drafting, just editing. I'd also rather not publically display my progress on my editing, haha. However, I will probably take your advice on this when I start drafting something else, so I don't have to post my word count every day! Thanks for the info, I always like learning more about how Blogger works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have one. Mostly, because I don't want people seeing my lack of progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of like NaNoWriMo -- Too. Much. Pressure. And then what happens when I cut things midway, through? I'll feel like a complete failure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any progress bars. My external accountablilty check comes from telling people I'm going to do things. Like when I taught in an alternative school and told the principal I wanted to improve the book selection. That helped me to tackle the project.

    I do, however, like checking out progress bars on other people's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. L.T.- At the speed you write, I'm envisioning a flame burning across your progress bar like a lit fuse!

    You might have noticed that I moved my bars to a lower location now that I'm editing :)

    Susan-Editing and revising are hard to measure anyway :)

    Bane-It definitely puts the pressure on. I think I burnt myself out a little on my last mad write-athon.

    Paul-Accountability is a great motivator. Improving a school's book section sounds like a fun and satisfying project to tackle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have progress bars, but I've considered it. I think they're cool, but probably not for my writing style. I do a lot of back and forth motions as I write, editing what I wrote the day before and then pushing forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Deb, thanks!

    I love progress bars because they remind me that I have a goal. It helps to know I have friends cheering on my progress too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn-I found them most useful when I was going for a hard core word count in a limited time frame. Although, nothing says that bar has to move fast. You know what they say about slow and steady!

    Tamika-You're welcome and I'll definitely be cheering you on!!!

    ReplyDelete