I’ve been in a melancholy mood. It occurred to me this morning that this empathetic overload I’m experiencing is directly related to my recent literary choices.
Twilight and New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
I picked these up on the recommendation of my eleven-year old granddaughter. She mentioned that she found New Moon depressing and had to alternate between that and a lighter novel. I was motivated to see what she was feeding her young brain. I had trouble getting into the first one but once I did - I was hooked.
My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Excellent book. It’s well written, contains thought provoking subject matter, and I laughed out loud a few times--all positive components. Warning spoiler ahead - I don’t mind a story that touches me and induces a few tears, but please…not at the end!
The Rose and the Beast (Fairy Tales Retold) by Francesca Lia Block
I’ve been going through this book, one snippet at a time. It’s darker than my usual fair yet I keep picking it back up…
I found myself rifling through the bookshelves this morning, looking for Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I had to slap my own hand--enough heart wrenching/ thought provoking/ tragedy already.
These are all good reads, but I am so ready to put my rose coloured glasses back on and dive into a nice big pool of light reading. How affected are you by what you read?
Oh yeah, I know what you are saying. I've let myself get wrapped up in emotions caused by books. I end up in a funk for a little while after that. Find yourself a good comedy to help lift those spirits. Nothing like a good laugh to bring you out of a funky feeling.
ReplyDeleteHow did your weekend go? I love a deep novel, even though they are often depressing, but during the summer, I only read light hearted stuff. Bridget Jones is always a good choice. Also the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (sp?). There's many others, but I can't think of them all right now. I hope your mood lifts soon!
ReplyDeleteQuixotic: Good to know that I’m not alone! I guess reading, writing, or listening to music, we’re bound to pick up on the mood of a well-done piece. And you’re right I definitely need some comedy!
ReplyDeleteLazy Writer: It was good to relax at the lake and see everybody. Much more uneventful than your weekend away, lol! We’re heading into the library tonight and I’ll be looking for some Janet Evanovich. Thanks for the suggestion!