I’m new to novel writing and I've come across a lot of advise for aspiring writers. A lot of contradictory advise. Some published writers tell you that a good outline is critical to success. The next will say that they have achieved success writing by the seat of their pants. Follow the rules! Don’t follow the rules! So, who is right and who is wrong? They are all right – they just may not all be right for you.
Why is it that one system works for some and not for others? Because we’re individuals, we process and utilize information in different ways. I have found the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator to be a very useful tool in coming to understand the different personality types and the unique ways in which they function. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Do you process information internally or externally? Do you prefer to process information logically or emotionally? Why? I won’t expand on theory - there is a vast amount of information available online if you are interested in learning more.
Is the online test credible? I first took the MBTI test in the late ‘80’s. The test was administered by a college counselor as part of a series of tests designed to help you choose a career path. I discovered that I am an INFJ personality type. My online test results matched those of the college-administered test. So in my case, the online test was accurate and therefore credible.
At first I viewed the entire concept of personality types with skepticism. How could you possibly pigeonhole all of humanity into sixteen types? Not to mention that at first glance, the descriptions of the types look like an elaborate horoscope. I should add that my eldest son was the catalyst, and a persistence driving force, during my initial foray into the world of MBTI. It has turned out to be one of the most useful tools I have ever discovered in my quest for personal growth, and for understanding the people around me.
The MBTI also has great potential for use in character development. I find it far more useful than character development sheets. I’m a ‘seat of my pantser’ and prefer to let my characters develop their own personalities. There are times though when I find myself looking up the attributes and traits of a certain personality type in order to ensure that I have created a believable response/reaction.
If you’re wondering why you can’t work within certain structures…try the test. Once you learn a bit about your own personality type, encourage your friends and family to take it. Before you know it you’ll find that you are able to identify the different types and start utilizing your knowledge in your writing and in your personal life. Worked for me anyway!
The test is available at http://www.typelogic.com/ click on ‘Is there a test?’ There are several options -I prefer the Jung Typology Test at HumanMetrics.
I've taken the test before, and I think I was an ESFJ. Is that one? Anyway, great tip to think about when developing a character. I also wanted to answer your question on my comment on your last post. I write YA fiction with the potential for crossover. My first novel is 85,000 words, which I am catching some flack for. Apparently YA should be no more than 65,000 words, but I just can't seem to cut any more! Again, I wish you luck!
ReplyDeleteLazy Writer: ESFJ is one. I'm a novice at the MBTI thing but it really fascinates me.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your writing and was about to comment on your blog earlier when I was called out on a beaver dam emergency. lol
I would be interested in reading your novel. I don't have a ton of critiquing experience. I have done one, as it was being written over the last couple of years. A 110,000 word fantasy novel which I believe could fall into the YA category.
Cutting out chunks of your writing can be difficult. I read an interview with Diana Gabaldon(she writes those word hefty volumes in the'Dragonfly in Amber'series)she claims that she never throws ANY of her writing away. If she can't use a paragraph in her current project she puts it into a file and saves it until she can use it somewhere else. With that in mind, I've started a 'slush file', I seriously doubt much of it will ever get used but hey, it doesn't quite feel like I've had to toss anything.
If you feel that all your words are necessary for plot development - to tell your story, then my advice would be to hang in there for the right publisher. Oh and bury yourself in your next writing project while you wait!