Friday, June 12, 2009

Our region has been plagued with wildfires this spring. So what does one do? We prepare of course. Between the cowpoke, the boss, and the next door neighbour we have an impressive arsenal of fire fighting equipment at our finger tips, tested and ready to go. The area around the ranch is being well irrigated to create a green belt. We feel confident that we are prepared to fight from a position of power.

Apparently not all of our neighbours are as conscientious. As I speak, we have a fire burning 2 km from the ranch. The volunteer fire department and forestry are on the scene. The above mentioned three good 'ol boys went to check out the situation - I later discovered - with a pick-up load of fire equipment. Cause of fire - aforementioned neighbour decided it was a good day to burn a slash pile... We are prepared to fight fire to save our homes and livestock, but how does one fight stupidity?

I have had one close up and personal experience with wild fire. The Fly Hills fire of 1998. I kept a journal so will one day post my diary and pictures. Remind me, if you are interested.

I loved the old Queen Mum and here's one of my favourite stories: When London was being bombed, during WWII, "the King and Queen made the decision to stay in London, come what may. Suggestions that she take her daughters Elizabeth and Margaret Rose to Canada for safety were met with a typical straightforward response: 'The girls will not go without me. And I won't leave without the King. And of course the King will never leave.' It was a decision that would be forever remembered and held up decades later as a shining example of loyalty and commitment." http://www.cbc.ca/news/obit/queenmother/

So - if we can smell the smoke - do we run? Hell no!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I think we have a lot in commom, even though you are up in the great country of Canada and I am tucked safely away in the heart of America (in other words--Kansas). What do you write? I'd love to know. I wish you all the luck in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, wait, I meant common not commom! I am always making typos in comments, and I don't see them until after the comment posts. Oh well! I also wanted to mention that you can call yourself an author as soon as you've written a page as far as I'm concerned. I actually did a post about this a few weeks back. Anyway, I'd call you an author! Oh, and did I mention my hubby is a cowpoke, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lazy Writer: Thank you so much for visiting my blog. You are the very first to visit and to comment. Sounds like we do have a lot in common! Must be something about them good ol' cowpokes that inspires a girl to write!

    My first book is an 85,000 word romance, I'm not sure what sub-genre it's going to work in. It has light paranormal elements, action, adventure, a fantasy world... What are you writing? I'll have to skip over to your blog and check out your earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete