Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Where There's a Wall - There's a Way

A couple of weeks ago I attempted to use a cork board to help restructure my first WiP. I quickly outgrew the board and began to take over a wall. The plan was to use a sheet of paper to note the basic points for each chapter.

What I ended up doing was going back and studying all of the plot structure information and outlining tips that I've collected over the last couple of years. I then used the info to map out a basic structure to assist me in revising my existing WiPs and to help outline future projects. I like this Screenplay Structure, and used it as my base. 

The wall has undergone several evolutions over the last couple of weeks but an outline of an actual story is now developing. That's the good news. The bad news for me is that I've come to the realization that my first two WiP's will work best as a trilogy.

Sooo, I'm now outlining a third story that will be the first book of the trilogy. I'm going to need more wall space to set up "maps" to restructure the existing manuscripts. This could take a while....

Realistically, I think I'll have better luck putting out a stand-alone manuscript first. This project should help me hone my writing and outlining skills though. Practice makes perfect. Right?

26 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks so organized! I'm impressed.
    It seems as though you've made progress, so that's good. At any rate, even a little bit here and there adds up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that spells organization! I'm sure a visual like that gives real clarity, I just don't know that I have the patience to construct it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget- You're right about the little bits and it feels good to be moving forward at least! It feels organized, except for the fact that I have to stand on a chair to reach the top...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamika- I thought about it for a long time before I tackled it! It really is helping me see the big picture though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Deb! I'm impressed! You're working your way through while keeping track of details for a trilogy. That's a lot! Good for you! I bet it'll be great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... I wonder if you're more organized than my system. I start with a notebook for each book with major plot points, words I like, imagery I want to use. By the end it's a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, if you keep this up, you are going to need a bigger house soon! Seriously, though it sounds like you have found a system that works really well for you. I'm horrible at outlining, but I'm trying to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn- I hope so :) My old system wasn't working for me so onward and upward. Well, until I come to the ceiling anyway, LOL

    Stephanie- I've started new notebooks for each book. They're a mess, bulging with notes and cast off sticky notes but I have the option of moving the notes around or tossing them. So far, I'm happy with it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alissa- I'm in a SMALL house, we're actually thinking about moving the furniture around to give me more wall space. I'm not a natural outliner either, but I really, really want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so very organized. The notebook idea is, too. I always try to do this kind of thing at the beginning of a WIP, but never quite succeed. I don't outline, but I've jotted down characters names in books and short descriptions of places. But I never seem able to keep adding to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That looks way better than my writing wall. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, color me impressed. I feel like I'm regressing b/c I take fewer notes nowadays :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at you go! And, yes, it does require a great deal of patience, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesomely organized. I'm in awe of you. My skin gets itchy at the thought of trying to do all of that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Run away! Run away!

    Whew. That was close. That is a very scary looking wall. (Can you tell I'm totally not a plotter?)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belle- I wrote my WiPs by the seat-of-my-pants and my revisions are giving me heartburn. I'm trying to train myself to be more of an outliner - so I keep trying new ways :)

    Bethany- I have a feeling my wall is going to be very messy by the time I'm finished!

    Bane- That sounds like a good thing to me! I wish I could keep it all running in my auld brain :D

    Susan- Indeed it does! I'm getting a little impatient these days - hence the push to find a new way to get 'er done :)

    Roni- So far it's fun! One of these days I'm going to find my groove.. the real challenge will be to see if I can stick to the outlines when I start writing.

    Stephanie- LOL! If this doesn't work I'll revert to pantser mode but I seriously think this might work out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That wall looks so writerly. I imagine that picture will later go into your biography, in the chapter where they describe your method. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressive Wall, Deb!! It's nice to have some kind of structure, whatever works for you. My structure keeps evolving too.

    I'm wondering if the first book of your Trilogy could also be a stand alone novel? Just a thought. Happy writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm keeping note on my characters and the world around them as I write the chapters. If I start thinking too long term goal, I get daunted. It's amazing you can put that much energy into the structure. I'm envious.

    Good luck with the new wall.

    .........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this is so awesome! I love the organization! Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll end up with beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lori- A biography - that's a very nice thought!

    Paul- Here's to evolution! And you're right, the first one would be the place to start :)

    Donna- It's been a while coming. It is a daunting process. There are days when I think about chucking it all, but then I try a new approach and it feels possible again..

    B.J.- Thanks and I hope this leads to beautiful things. As wallpaper, it's somewhat lacking :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. There's something so appealing about the symmetry and color of your wall. I love that you're trying this. Hope it gets you where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've tried the storyboard thing but it quickly gets away from me. I do admire people who can have it all mapped out in advance. It definitely makes sense if you are writing a series or a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Deb- Thanks! I'm hoping this is the right path for me, but I'll be happy just to learn something along the way.

    Linda- I also admire those who can outline from start to finish, which I suppose is one of the reasons I have this strong desire to succeed - at mapping this out. Also, I'm not sure yet if this story wants to be a trilogy or a series...

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! Now that's organization! ....

    You could still make the trilogy-each book in it- stand alone - I'm doing that with the VK sagas (or some area calling them "the Graces")....just wrap each one up in some way to satisfy your readers, feed a teeny bitof backstory(not toomuch!) and a little bit of something ahead...voila!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love seeing the different ways that people plot! It's so interesting. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete