Thursday, February 25, 2010

Flying the Friendly Skies and Other Fairy Tales

Time to come clean on the pack of lies I told in the last post.

#1 - I'm a card carrying member of the Mile High Club. FIB! 

#2 - Horses scare me; I've never rode one. FIB!



#3 - I've rode the open highway with a gang of bikers. TRUE! I rode in a Toy Run on Vancouver Island, from Cathedral Grove to Port Alberni. The roar of a few hundred Harleys revving up is deafening, gets the earth beneath your feet shaking, and the old heart pumping. It was way cool riding two bikes abreast down the open road! The participants of the run ride with toys strapped to their bikes, and all proceeds from the weekend's festivities go to childrens charities. Huge fun!

#4 - I sang "Oh Canada" at Maple Leaf Gardens before a Toronto Maple Leafs playoff game. FIB!

#5 - I once went 3.7 seconds on a mechanical bull at the Dirty Dog Saloon. FIB! 


#6 - One of my nicknames is The High Priestess of the Fake Fruit. TRUE! I went through a wanton fake fruit collecting phase; glass fruit, wooden fruit, wax fruit, papier-mâché... But not to worry, I managed to kick my addiction before I hit the back streets in pursuit of a cut-rate PVC fix.

#7 - I'm a direct descendant of Scottish freedom fighter William Wallace. FIB! (I am part Scots, so I suppose one can never really know for sure:)

Under normal circumstances I couldn't tell a lie to save my life, but I rather enjoyed this. I won't be doing much blog visiting today - I have a plane to catch.

Okay, that's a big fat lie. I'll actually be baking for the grad ski trip. You know, I think I'm starting to understand the lure of gross exaggeration and creative fabrication ... ho hum..

17 comments:

  1. Ha! the fake fruit thing is so funny! A while back I also had a fake fruit collection--it was so tacky, but I couldn't help myself. I still have to resist the urge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget- I'm so happy to hear that I'm not alone. Be strong Bridget, be strong! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I was hoping that you would use your self-portrait. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that I didn't like your other picture. Gee, I'm spamming my own comments :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lying is fun, and I think you did a good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent my entire childhood dusting a wooden collection of faux fruit. My mother loved them. The pineapple was a nightmare to dust. I don't think I can ever go there again!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bane- Why thank you! And it was fun ;)

    Sharla- I hear you on the dust thing, one of the reasons I dumped most of my collection. Heading over to check out your interview with Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The biggest shock was the fake fruit, but that picture of the fake grapes is lovely. All I think of when I think of fake fruit is this musty old collection of fake wax fruit my grandmother had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was certain the mechnical bull was true! I'm shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That nickname was too good to be a lie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, great fibs :) I missed the original post but I totally would have believed all of them except the horse one. I can't believe you'd marry a cowpoke if you were scared a' horses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Deb,
    Just as a minor form of revenge, sorry I mean reward, I've got an award for you at my blog.

    Al

    Publish or Perish

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny! That's cool about the bike ride. But I thought the mechanical bull one would be true! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was super fun! But you're always fun, Deb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. *LAUGHING!* LOVE IT!!!!

    and t'ankee for the birdledeedoo day wishes, for ME ME M E day! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alissa- I had some realistic looking candles, a wax apple and a wax pear. Both had several little teeth imprints in them from visiting children. :D

    Katie- Haha!It was tough owning up to that one!

    Tamika- I wish it was true, it looks like a ride at the fair!

    Anita- The woman who pinned that one on me was an interesting character :)

    L.T.- Too true! It would be hard to live on a ranch if you were afraid of large animals. I'll confess though that I have a healthy respect for the bulls!

    Al- Thank you so much! And touché :)

    B.J.- I feel as though I've let everyone down :D I swear, if I wasn't slipping into those dangerous hip replacement years, I would so be out there looking for a mechanical bull to ride.

    Dawn- Right back at you :)

    Kat- Hope you're having a good time on your birthday!!! Hey... wish I would have thought of this before... how about reading the Virginia Kate/Dylan/bull scene from SG while riding a mechanical BULL.. throw in the BEAR skin and you've got a cool stock market tie in thingy goin' on. Not really sure how that would work :D Happy Happy!

    ReplyDelete